SPUN A DUCK ON SUNDAY….FIRST TIME!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Well I have been wanting to cook a duck& they had some pretty big one’s at the store last week, so I bought one, without a clue what I was going to do with it. I let it thaw in the fridge for a couple of days.
Here is the duck I bought.
A5B009D7-DA0F-4E7B-9794-A73330A20724.jpeg
A5B009D7-DA0F-4E7B-9794-A73330A20724.jpeg

I had some duck fat in the fridge, so I decided to use that as the binder.
0DA85C20-9CD2-4CD7-92FA-A628D0F5A98E.jpeg

Next I crossed hatched scored the skin on the duck so the fat could render out.

3B227439-1DC2-4857-98B2-20E9200D98D3.jpeg

Then I made up a rub of SPOG, rosemary, & thyme, and orange zest.
I also stuffed the cavity with a big bunch of rosemary, thyme, a coarsley chopped onion, several garlic cloves & a few slices of onion, and some orange chunks

D82509AF-847B-4CB5-BA6D-A7F58973687D.jpeg

7EFF040D-5EB2-4212-9B92-0C59D655C589.jpeg

Next I trussed it up. So that all the stuff would stay inside the bird.

92D53CC1-8336-4284-BF62-57063A99DB2E.jpeg

Then it went in the fridge for a nap for 24 hours.

6381A961-B731-426F-858D-D75B6494076E.jpeg

Out of the fridge & onto the rod.

CDF73F61-E1A9-4D0F-9E38-BB9C799D8FE3.jpeg

I then dusted it with Montreal chicken seasoning.

7E23795F-5966-436F-A464-5E604911B1F9.jpeg

I started 2 fires, one on each side of the kettle.

C0E91FF2-5176-4897-8163-BC01FBDDA456.jpeg

Next I made a batch of potato’s with SPOG, dill, parsley & duck fat.

80F45067-D748-4B70-B6F6-5270A209A1EC.jpeg

Put the duck on with the potato’s underneath so they catch all the duck fat.

BE006521-049D-4264-B682-9588543BE84A.jpeg

The potato’s got done, so I raised the rack & put them on top of the duck, and spread the fire out so it would be right under the duck.

CFAA317C-6268-4633-BD8E-B1EEB6BA6884.jpeg

Pulled the duck at an IT of 150 in the breast. Chef Jimmy J said to take it a bit higher than rare, otherwise the legs wouldn’t be tender, so that’s what I did.

C73F9EF2-FD57-42BA-A9C9-776B19043A40.jpeg

A19DB22F-43D0-4649-A168-4542277E8591.jpeg

And this is how it turned out after carving it up.

A0414916-442B-4C86-9ED8-B4A8CE71D8CC.jpeg

I have to say it was very good, but for the price & all the work involved I think I’ll just stick to chicken thighs.
Even with the orange glaze that they provided, I wasn’t really impressed.
Some smoked chicken thighs would have been just as good for 1/4 of the price.
That being said I am having leftovers & Judy found a recipe for Slow cooker duck Pho.
That’s what she is working on now.
My first duck was quite an adventure, but as I said before I think I will just stick with chicken thighs
But I can’t wait to try the duck pho.

Thanks for looking guys & coming along on my first duck adventure.
Al

Attachments

• 8984D543-095C-48D0-AE72-B00B2D1674C5.jpeg
    8984D543-095C-48D0-AE72-B00B2D1674C5.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 17
  • A31FDAB9-0DDA-4894-BC58-E171CF085114.jpeg
    A31FDAB9-0DDA-4894-BC58-E171CF085114.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 419784AE-4D46-4127-AE7D-8B380B30213B.jpeg
    419784AE-4D46-4127-AE7D-8B380B30213B.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 16
  • CE391B9A-EFAA-455D-9FF1-DDB23BCE90D8.jpeg
    CE391B9A-EFAA-455D-9FF1-DDB23BCE90D8.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 15
  • AA843068-B273-49A9-8CC6-8872E50BBEF2.jpeg
    AA843068-B273-49A9-8CC6-8872E50BBEF2.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 16
looks excellent Al, we did one last year and i know what ya mean about the extra work and price, to me it tasted like dark meat turkey so i also figured why bother. But if we don't try things we'll never know.

Reactions: Stingh2
I have to say it was very good, but for the price & all the work involved I think I’ll just stick to chicken thighs.
Even with the orange glaze that they provided, I wasn’t really impressed.
Some smoked chicken thighs would have been just as good for 1/4 of the price.
That being said I am having leftovers & Judy found a recipe for Slow cooker duck Pho.
That’s what she is working on now.
My first duck was quite an adventure, but as I said before I think I will just stick with chicken thighs

Thanks for looking guys & coming along on my first duck adventure.
Al
Great write up, Al and I really appreciate the afterthoughts. As I said in the other post about duck posted by tedpoppke tedpoppke , I've only had duck breast and that was from ducks I shot. I was considering doing something similar to you and him, but I think I'll stick with chicken thighs, too.

I like Vietnamese food and Asian food in general, so definitely let us know how the duck pho turns out...

I like duck but all i have ever eaten was duck in a roaster pan. Looks great. I may need to try smoking one to see how it works out.

worth the like!

Looks great Al!! I’ve yet to try duck. If I could find it around that price I’d give it a go for sure. Definitely spinner worthy.

Last edited:
FEE-FI-PHO-FUM that sounds yum yum!!
Al, All looked great. very nice pics and write up. I have put this thread up on my computers rotator. congrats on the ride.

Al, the duck looks amazing.
It does sound like a lot of work.
But at least you got to use both the rotisserie and the santa maria attachments for the Weber.

Edit: I wonder if an OJ brine would have acheived the flavor profiles you were going for?

Your treating the duck as poltry and yes its a bird but the meat is more like steak. I would score the skin in a tighter cross hatch and apply salt and pepper. The duck will have enough fat on its own and you want to render that out without blackening. Your duck meat looked spot on

try a pan fried breast ... skin side down lower heat dont burn ... brown then flip and get to desired temp

its more like a pincha left whole

Absolutely outstanding Al. Beautiful cook and an excellent write-up. Love the fact that you were able to utilize several of the attachments for the Performer. Pretty awesome all around. I'm just sorry that it didn't meet expectations but certainly do appreciate the honest feedback.

Robert

looks excellent Al, we did one last year and i know what ya mean about the extra work and price, to me it tasted like dark meat turkey so i also figured why bother. But if we don't try things we'll never know.
Great write up, Al and I really appreciate the afterthoughts. As I said in the other post about duck posted by tedpoppke tedpoppke , I've only had duck breast and that was from ducks I shot. I was considering doing something similar to you and him, but I think I'll stick with chicken thighs, too.

I like Vietnamese food and Asian food in general, so definitely let us know how the duck pho turns out...
I like duck but all i have ever eaten was duck in a roaster pan. Looks great. I may need to try smoking one to see how it works out.

worth the like!
Looks great Al!! I’ve yet to try duck. If I could find it around that price I’d give it a go for sure. Definitely spinner worthy.
Al, All looked great. very nice pics and write up. I have put this thread up on my computers rotator. congrats on the ride.
Al, the duck looks amazing.
It does sound like a lot of work.
But at least you got to use both the rotisserie and the santa maria attachments for the Weber.

Edit: I wonder if an OJ brine would have acheived the flavor profiles you were going for?

Well you might be right, since this was my first time I put orange zest in the rub &. 1 whole orange cut in quarters in the cavity, so if I do it again I will try a different approach & I appreciate your comments. It seems like your really lucky if you get it right the first time. It was very good, but I thought it would just blow me away & that didn’t happen. But that is why we all BBQ & keep experimenting, right!
Looks great Al! Nice write up and pics as well.

Thanks Buddy!
Al
Your treating the duck as poltry and yes its a bird but the meat is more like steak. I would score the skin in a tighter cross hatch and apply salt and pepper. The duck will have enough fat on its own and you want to render that out without blackening. Your duck meat looked spot on

try a pan fried breast ... skin side down lower heat dont burn ... brown then flip and get to desired temp

I think you are right, the breast seems to be the best part, and when cooked rare it seems to be awesome. That will be my next project. Actually I would have bought the duck breasts, but they only had one & they are so small, it wouldn’t have been enough for Judy & I. But Next time I see them and there are more than one I will buy a couple, and cook them rare.
Al

Yea ain’t that the truth!!!
Al

I will for sure, the Pho sure looks good, & the broth sure smells good!

worth the like

If you smoke it, the problem is getting the fat to render from underneath the skin & get the skin crispy, it’s not that easy. I will try again & learn from my mistakes.
Yea the roti seems like the way to go, the fat just oozes out & rolls. Around the duck

Thank you for the nice comments! I didn’t know I got the ride until you told me, even though I’ve been on here for a bunch of years It still is an honor to get selected for the carousel!
Al
Looks great Al! Nice write up and pics as well.

Thanks Buddy, your comments are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Zip, that is my next try at duck, just like you said to do it. That’s exactly what Chef Jimmy J said to do. Forget about doing a whole duck. Breasts in a cold fry pan & render the fat as the pan comes up to heat, flip & 135 IT. That is definitely what I will try next. I don’t like to give up, and although chicken thighs are very close in flavor. I want to taste a rare duck breast with crispy skin.

Absolutely outstanding Al. Beautiful cook and an excellent write-up. Love the fact that you were able to utilize several of the attachments for the Performer. Pretty awesome all around. I'm just sorry that it didn't meet expectations but certainly do appreciate the honest feedback.

Robert

Thanks Robert,
This is a learning experience & I’m already thinking about the next one.
Al

Thank you for the nice comments! I didn’t know I got the ride until you told me, even though I’ve been on here for a bunch of years It still is an honor to get selected for the carousel!
Welcome, and Yes it does go fast. 3 more days will make 14yrs. dang

Congratulations on the rotator ride! I look forward to seeing your chick thigh thread. The duck sure looks good even if you didn’t think it tasted that way.

Looks great Al. Sure like your set up. I doing another Judy rye this week. Gave a loaf to a friend and now he wants me to show him how to make. I normally do the SD version but may try the regular for him since he does not have starter.

Al that looks fantastic on the spit and the last picture before the carving. I only had Duck once
and I found it too oily for me . But yours I would try a bite because it does not look that oily.

Very good show and tell, thank you

David

also congrats on the ride

Sure looks good Al. The PHO sounds interesting. Had a few varieties but not Duck.
I made Duck, Breasts Med/Rare and Confit Legs in a Tomato Sauce over Pasta. Most of the family said they liked the Legs but thought the Breasts tasted too Gamey to bother making again. I liked it all! Shame they are not cheaper...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky