Spec Needs Cleaver advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spec

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Back in Minnesota
Hey Guys,

I need some Cleaver advice...

I just inherited a flock of chickens in need of Butcher...18 of them...AND  discovered that my beloved HIKORO 7" older than I am... cleaver got stolen out of the back of my truck when my chainsaw, Cooking crate, and stuff  last week 

I need a good Cleaver for 50 bux or under...

NSF handle and a curved heavy, full tange, curved blade

Any suggestions on where to find such an animal?

Check eBay.

Are you killing them with a cleaver?

You don't need a cleaver to do that, it fact, it's recommend that you don't chop the head off.
If you just sever the jugular with a knife, the heart will beat longer, pumping out all the blood.

~Martin

Diggin

I'm working in a small space, and kind of fond of them. and will be working with someone who has never butchered a live bird, too messy and I might be doing this alone...I really hate the slaughter but don't mind the cleaning...plus they are mostly stew hens, I've always used a cleaver for 1/4ing

No plucking a quick skin and 1/4

I'm not going to bother with the wings just 1/4 them off keep the drumstick/thigh for sausage

Hell it's been 15 years or better since I butchered any birds

Nuttin' wrong with stew hens, I love 'em.
We used to raise as many as 1.300 fryers and broilers on pasture each summer until we got sick of it. LOL
Now no more than a couple hundred.
~Martin
Ya me too..

Little rub set over night and in the rotis. oven...We only did 75 or so cornish rock cross's and 15-20 old hen stock each season.

I just got soft in my old age

Hey Pops,

That Dexter - Russel looks like the clear shit...Thanks for the input

Linguica,

Thats really great input...Thank you,,,Except my helper  decided I'm on my own,,HE HE HE prolly still help with the plucking...Seriously, That is a good refresher read, I didn't plan on plucking so I completely forgot about bringing the turkey fryer to scald...I used to have a plucking/eviscerating table, But Buckets and garbage cans will work well

Thanks Guys it's all GREAT INPUT

Hey Pops,

That Dexter - Russel looks like the clear shit...Thanks for the input
I can say the Dexter Russel is a beast. I have a few of them. Be careful if you get it. They are sharp and heavy!!

I was working on a special project where the menu was being laser etched onto the blade. The guy doing this knocked one to the floor. It bounced and hit is leg. Needless to say he needed several stitches and physical therapy to repair the damage.

Shit Linguica.

It's all good...That was an awesome find and a goo read for all

Ans Shoneyboy said it all
thumb1.gif

Dexter's used to be great, but I've heard that the Dexter's are not what they used to be quality-wise, someone told me that they're made in China now.
I'm not sure that's correct, second hand information........you may want to look into that if you're concerned about quality.

~Martin

Dexter's used to be great, but I've heard that the Dexter's are not what they used to be quality-wise, someone told me that they're made in China now.
I'm not sure that's correct, second hand information........you may want to look into that if you're concerned about quality.
~Martin
You are correct. Just took mine out to look at it. Made in China..

Been out looking,

it's amazing to me the price difference when you look on line,,,They range from 68bux delivered down to 34 bux delivered

No brainer there...Altho I had to spend 99 bux ...But I needed stuff anyway

Wonder what Barb will think of her Christmas gift of a pair of cut resistant gloves
ROTF.gif
 She scares the crap outta me every time she picks up a sharp instroment...

So for a hundred bux I'm replacing my cleaver and I'm done X-mas shopping...

Here's where I found the best price

https://www.foodservicewarehouse.com

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky