• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Some wee fatties!

smokin kat

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 5, 2016
Saw a thread from Jay Porter asking about mini-fatties a few weeks ago, and thought I'd post some pics of the ones we did this weekend! 

This was sort of by accident... I was going to cook some bacon and reserve the rest of the pack for a couple of regular sized fatties, but wasn't thinking and cut all the bacon in half to fit in the pan.   Realized my mistake when I went to lay out the strips for our fatties. 

D'oh! What's a girl to do....  Bingo!  Bite sized fatties! :)  

Did three little half strips of bacon, and spread out some hot pork sausage. 

Next, added a spread of cream cheese and spinach (I rationalized that if the fattie has vegetables in it, it's practically a health food, right?) 

Then I put a couple of candied jalapenos inside for some sweetness and heat. 

Rolled them up (I ended up with about 2 dozen total!)  I also sprinkled the outside with a bit of jalapeno rub. 

And onto the grill!  They turned out perfect for breakfast sized bites-- 1 or 2 fills you up pretty good!  This picture is on a 6" salad plate, for size reference. :) 

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Holy cow!

You are on a roll!

I just saw your taco thread, then this!

I just had to give you a point!

Al

smokin kat

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 5, 2016
Thanks everyone-- they're just perfect for breakfasts on the run.  Next batch I'll get the bacon just a bit crispier on the outside.  

We did the candied jalapenos awhile back, using splenda instead of sugar.  Dang they are good, but they pack a decent amount of heat too.  

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
I gotta say--those look good.

Only problem is I usually have trouble getting all the goodies inside a BIG fatty. I'd really have to slap myself along side the head before trying a mini. LOL

Gary

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I LIKE IT!
This may be an alternative to ABTs as a "side".
Breakfast? I don't think so [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Dan

:points:

dukeburger

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2009
Looks great! I do these for appys from time to time. Points!

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 8, 2014
Wow! Those sound good. I have not yet made fatties, how long on the grill?
Randy,

smokin kat

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 5, 2016
Wow! Those sound good. I have not yet made fatties, how long on the grill?
Randy,
Hey Randy-- I smoked them for about half an hour, then turned the temp up to 350° to finish them off.  I think it was about 45-60 minutes at 350 till they reached 160 internal temp... I don't pay as much attention to time as I do final temperature, but an hour would be a good guess. :)

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Fantastic fatties! Point for the Kat!

Disco

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.