Some breakfast and wiener sausage from pork trim

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Been making good use of trim from all the cryo vac'd meat I've been buying . This time I got about 4 pounds from a pack of pork cushion and a 3 pack of whole spares . I have no problem breaking out the grinder and stuffer for small batches . I enjoy making it as much as eating it .
Did a couple pounds of breakfast using a mix from Owens BBQ , and some wiener sausage in 22 mm sheep casings . Seasoning from sausage maker .
Anyway ,
Trimmed all the cushion up . There's 5 sections in the bag . Saving these for roast or PP .
20210731_094625.jpg

The rib trim was pretty lean , so I ground that and the cushion trim then mixed it together before I divided it up .
seasoned each batch and stuffed right away , then held over night . If I wait to stuff with the small horn , it's a disaster .
Last time I did that I ripped the counter top off the base cabinet .
20210731_115751.jpg 20210731_115915.jpg
I knew it was going to go good . Sheep casing pulled right out of the bucket , opened up , rinsed and slid right on the tube .
20210731_142908.jpg
Breakfast all stuffed . Got 20 links .
20210731_144139.jpg
Cooked some up this morning . Really good .
I added some dextrose to help with the browning .
20210801_081348.jpg
Pancakes and taters from the Blackstone .
20210801_092325.jpg 20210801_092555.jpg
Wieners all stuffed up . I went with a long link . I'm used to 4's or 5's , and the sheep casings just look so small .
20210731_150001.jpg
I dried under the fan this morning and hung them in the 30 while I made breakfast .
Hung at 120 with beech pellets rolling smoke .
That was 7:00 . Was talking in a thread and SmokinEdge SmokinEdge mentioned hotdogs .
I completely forgot about them .
At this point they've been at 120 for 4 hours .
Good color , but starting to shrivel .
20210801_105749.jpg
So I pulled them and put in a pot of water .
Bring the water to a boil , remove from heat .
Add sausage and put the lid on . Smells like hot dog water .
20210801_111117.jpg
Gave a nice adjustment to the color also .
Cooled in some cold water .
20210801_111831.jpg
That mix is really good . Has great flavor .
I just do a good mix by hand , grind was small plate 1/8 "
One pass . I never do 2 . Tried it once . That was enough .
The texture is perfect for what I like .
20210801_111908.jpg
20210801_112219.jpg
Saw the thread by SmokinEdge the other day and figured I'd revisit some hotdogs .
They're always good , but I buy an Angus beef frank from GFS that we like , so I just
don't make them . I can see that might change though .
Thanks for lookin .

Those links look great Rich, some nice work there, Like! I can't do small batches anymore, too much heavy gear to lug around, not worth it. My shoulders require my motorized stuffer the last few years. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Those links look great Rich, some nice work there, Like! I can't do small batches anymore, too much heavy gear to lug around, not worth it. My shoulders require my motorized stuffer the last few years. RAY
Thanks Ray . My stuff isn't as heavy as yours , and it's all stored right by the kitchen . I have an overhead reach that's tough , but not to bad .
I need to rebuild my 5 lb. Lem . That small tube puts the hurt on it .

Man that all looks really good Chop. I know there is no store bought dog will touch those, for sure. Also, nothing at all wrong with finishing sausage in water. That’s how the Pol’s do it. Works well. Nice job all around.

Some darned fine looking sausages right there. I gave up stuffing breakfast sausages. For me the work was not worth the gain. I just make patties now and be done with it. I am interested in doing some hot dogs though. Tried a couple times and they didn't come out as hoped but may give it a shot again now that I've learned a few more things since the last time I tried. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Nice looking weiners chop! Great write-up too. Yeah, I sort of gave up on using casings for breakfast links. Now I just shoot them out of the stuffer to form them caseless and onto a cookie sheet cut to length then freeze.
Like!

looks really good
Thanks , and thanks for the nudge .

nothing at all wrong with finishing sausage in water.
Not at all . I started following Marianski's method for smoke / cooked for larger smoked sausages . Worked better for me than the 10 degree bump .
Then I started to smoke for color with a SV finish .
For these the smoke / poach is perfect .
However people make the mistake of combing the two , SV with poaching . 2 different things . They use the poach temp with SV and hold the sausage to long .

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks Roberts .

I did too . Stuff into meat bags . Since I knew I was going to do hotdogs I went with it . This went easy , but doesn't always go that way .
Lamb casings aren’t bad to work with if you prep them right, that’s key.

Nice looking weiners chop! Great write-up too.
Thank you sir . Appreciate that

I just shoot them out of the stuffer to form them caseless and onto a cookie sheet cut to length then freeze.
That's a great way to do it . I do the same at times . I used the cellulose casings once . They stuff super easy . Then I SV'd and peeled . Idea was a " brown and serve " breakfast sausage . Would have been better , except I went to long in the water .
Here's the thread on that if you interested .

Reactions: browneyesvictim
Thems some fine looking sausages Rich. I jealous. Rithie was going to help me out with kielbasa a couple of years back, and I got everything I needed except for the gumption to actually make them. Oh well, maybe someday soon.

Point for sure
Chris

Excellent looking sausages there Rich and a hearty looking breakfast too!

It's hard to beat a homemade dog!

Hotdogs look great Rich. I was going to make some hotdogs too but I went through my mancave fridge and I was out of sheep's. I found some cellulose casings though.
We'll see. Stay tuned.

Boykjo

Hotdogs look great Rich. I was going to make some hotdogs too but I went through my mancave fridge and I was out of sheep's. I found some cellulose casings though.
We'll see. Stay tuned.
Thanks . I appreciate that . I used the wiener sausage seasoning from the sausage maker . Has some great flavor .
My cellulose are 25 mm . I like 'em . Sheep gives them the " look " though .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky