Smoking tri tip like a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SolHero

Original poster
Dec 13, 2021
Hi,
I'd like to attempt smoking a tri tip like a brisket tomorrow. I've gone through a few tips on other threads and one of the things that worries me is that it seems like "probe tender" is different for a smoked tri tip where it will not feel like a "probe tender" brisket so how would I know when it is ready to be pulled out? At that point do I just go by temp (190-195 IT) ?
From what I've read, it should soften up after resting and it will slice easily. What's been your experience with this?

Reactions: JLeonard
Hey SolHero I've done several and love them ! I usually start checking around 195 IT for tenderness but they're normally not ready. I don't know that I check the finished temp but would guess closer to 205 or so like a brisket. Probe tenderness is the key indicator as to when it is ready. Are you planning to wrap or run naked ?
And remember pics or it didn't happen lol

Keith

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I was going to take it to around 165, wrap in butcher paper with some tallow and put back in until I'm happy with tenderness.
Yes even if I'm embarrassed about the results I will post them pics (will claim it was for educational purposes).

Oh man...now I'm hungry for a trip tip! And they're kind of elusive around here. But look forward to your pics and an educational purpose lol!

Ryan

Reactions: SolHero
I was going to take it to around 165, wrap in butcher paper with some tallow and put back in until I'm happy with tenderness.
Yes even if I'm embarrassed about the results I will post them pics (will claim it was for educational purposes).
And do not trim the fat cap....if it has one. Not sure where you're located but I get most from WM here and they have a nice fat cap to add with the flavor ! 20210829_164422.jpg o

And do not trim the fat cap....if it has one. Not sure where you're located but I get most from WM here and they have a nice fat cap to add with the flavor!
I'm in southern California and this tri tip is untrimmed. Sounds like it is best to leave that alone.

I’ve done this a few times, I’ve never probed tender. 1 pulled at 190 and rested over an hour. You won’t regret this! It tastes awesome!

Here is one of the original threads here. noboundaries noboundaries gave a great play by play on second page.

I love tri-tip. Dust with Carnivore Black, uncovered overnight in the refer, smoke, rest, then reverse sear. The only side you need is a good Calif. Cab.

64055E4C-94FD-4248-95CD-3EA43886CB2C.jpeg

I’ve done this a few times, I’ve never probed tender. 1 pulled at 190 and rested over an hour.
Yes I figured I will just have to trust the process and not stress about it.

I'm learning how to smoke meat and thought it would be best to get some practice with tri tip since a whole brisket is way too much meat for my family.

Reactions: bauchjw
Haha! They are a little cheaper too… not much! This was a really fun one to do, your family will enjoy it. Can’t wait to see how it goes!

Yes I figured I will just have to trust the process and not stress about it.

I'm learning how to smoke meat and thought it would be best to get some practice with tri tip since a whole brisket is way too much meat for my family.
Don't let the size of a whole packer brisket deter you. Leftover smoked brisket makes excellent chili. We vac pak & freeze batch portion sized chunks that we'll use later to make chili. Nothing gets wasted. Thaw a pak out, cut into small pieces and go make chili.

I love tri-tip. Dust with Carnivore Black, uncovered overnight in the refer, smoke, rest, then reverse sear. The only side you need is a good Calif. Cab.
Same! Must be medium rare and a good cab along side...OMG I want some!! I could never bring myself to cook a TT like a brisket.

Don't let the size of a whole packer brisket deter you. Leftover smoked brisket makes excellent chili. We vac pak & freeze batch portion sized chunks that we'll use later to make chili. Nothing gets wasted. Thaw a pak out, cut into small pieces and go make chili.
100% agree. a full packer doesnt last long here and its just me and my wife. Tacos, Chili, Sami's, mac and cheese. FP is fantastic in so many dishes. If you are concerned about the amount of meat, look for a smaller one. I can usually find them in the 12-14lb range before trimming which usually drops the weight to about 10-12lb, then after cooking its less than that. I would dive right in on a full packer at first chance. Check the box and start the obsession.

I'm in southern California and this tri tip is untrimmed. Sounds like it is best to leave that alone.
Yes, don't trim it if you're doing it like a brisket. I did the last one like a brisket and trimmed it up. It was good, but I think it would have been even better if I hadn't trimmed it. I'd say trimming is fine if you're cooking it rare/medium, but I think it would be better to leave the fat cap for brisket style.

Well, I tried it for the first time yesterday. I'm new to smoking so I did make a mistake or two along the way but at the end, the results were okay. I was not blown away. I might try it again and try to make less mistakes next time and see if that improves but otherwise I'll stick to brisket.

By the way, all I have is a 22-inch weber with a slow-n-sear and a pellet smoke tube I'm trying out.
IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG

I did this on my SmokeFire. Set at around 250-275 took it to around 160, then wrapped in foil. Removed at around 205, let it rest an hour and it was very juicy, tender and way cheaper than brisket. Used McCormick Garlic and Herb. Total time around 5-6 hours, including the rest.

Attachments

• C0CECDF2-0DBA-4C97-94AE-C1515D0120A8.jpeg
    C0CECDF2-0DBA-4C97-94AE-C1515D0120A8.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 11
  • D24F9A73-D7A0-4219-B414-CFBED4A2373E.jpeg
    D24F9A73-D7A0-4219-B414-CFBED4A2373E.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 454AD503-6555-47F0-969A-8F37A4B4D8B1.jpeg
    454AD503-6555-47F0-969A-8F37A4B4D8B1.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: SolHero
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky