Smoking tri tip like a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I did this on my SmokeFire. Set at around 250-275 took it to around 160, then wrapped in foil. Removed at around 205, let it rest an hour and it was very juicy, tender and way cheaper than brisket. Used McCormick Garlic and Herb. Total time around 5-6 hours, including the rest.
I used a weber kettle, so I can't just set it to a temp. I got busy with other things and did not realize heat got out of control. After improving temp I ended up wrapping in foil at 164 I think it was, took it to 195, unwrapped and let it go for about 20 min to set the bark. Rested it about 1 hr.

Looks good from here! Where did you feel it was lacking and what would you do differently next time?

Looks good from here! Where did you feel it was lacking and what would you do differently next time?
Thank you. I do not think it was moist enough, I added the au juis to it at the end that that improved. Smoke ring was not prominent but the flavor was good.

What would I do different next time? I would avoid lump charcoal, I felt the heat got out of control because of some large pieces. I would inject the meat. I also should have waited a bit longer to set the bark before wrapping. I only took it to 195 and was hard to go up from there so I had to pull it out to start resting and be on time for dinner but next time I'd like to go over 200, like 205.

Last thing, have a basic plan but should not be too strict about it, keep an open mind and adjust based on temp, look and feel of the meat.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky