Smoking raw hamburger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Khaymanbb

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2019
Topeka, KS
I've done a ton of searching, and cannot find anything related to this. I love smoked meat, but we don't always have recipes that call for it. One of which is hamburger. I make a lot of different casseroles for my kids, and most all call for hamburger. Has anyone smoked their hamburger, then browned in a skillet? Just the idea of smoked hamburger in a Cheesy Hamburger Potato Casserole or something similar seems like it would bump that normal recipe into an amazing recipe. Any ideas?

There's a rule when smoking meats... If you smoke below200 ish, add cure#1 to prevent the growth of botulism bacteria...
Ground meats are FULL of bacteria due to the grinding process... Any bacteria is distributed throughout the meat, not just on the surface... Whole muscle meats are considered sterile on the inside if they have not been poked, prodded, injected etc. to pull surface contamination to the interior of the muscle...

So, maybe smoke at 225 for an hour, then quickly saute to doneness maybe? Just trying to think outside the box and still get the smoke flavor. Maybe just cook them as smoked hamburgers, then crumble them into the casserole. Hmmm....

Cold Smoke Ground Meat...NEVER!
On the other hand, like browning your ground beef for casseroles is common. Cooked in a Pan or Cooked, at 225+, in the smoker is no different. Does not have to be Burgers. Crumbled and hot smoked will give you what you are looking for...JJ

No need to stick to 225F. Ground meat has a LOT of surface area to capture smoke. I use my grill, not my smoker. Generally I do it when I'm making chili, soups, or stews. I don't think I could get a smoky casserole past my wife.

Fire up whatever amount of charcoal you want. Dump the hot charcoal onto a small wood chunk or two, or 5-6 large wood chips. The white smoke clears pretty quickly.

Break up the charcoal in an oiled pan and put the pan on the grill for indirect heat. After 15-20 mins, if no red left, take the meat inside and build your casserole or chili, soup, etc.

If you think poultry takes on smoke quickly, wait til you try ground meat broken up in a pan in a smoky grill.

Edit for clarification: When I said "No need to stick to 225F," in my mind I was thinking hotter, not cooler. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm starting to get hungry already. I plan on doing this over the weekend when my ribs/pork butt is on there. Have the room, just add the beef!

Smoking Without Nitrates
For those who smoke meats without cures, it will be advisable to smoke them at temperatures well above the danger zone (>160° F, 72° C). Such a product will not be pink but will exhibit a typical grayish color of cooked meat. Adding cure to meats that will be smoked brings many benefits (explained later), one of them is preventing the danger of contracting food poisoning, known as botulism. Barbecued meats are smoked at much higher temperatures which eliminates the danger of Clostridium botulinum producing toxins.

Those who insist on smoking meats without nitrates, should be aware that the internal meat temperature trails the temperature of the smokehouse by about 25° F and to be on the outside of the danger zone, the smoking must be performed at temperatures higher than 170° F (77° C) which in our opinion becomes cooking with smoke. Clostridium botulinum bacteria need moisture, warm temperatures and the absence of oxygen. These are prevalent conditions in a small self contained smoker, where incoming air is kept at minimum in order for the sawdust to smolder and not to burst into the flames. A large outside smokehouse with a separate fire pit is at a smaller risk as there is an ample flow of fresh air that enters smoking chamber together with the smoke. Using dry wood increases safety as less moisture will be created.

Reactions: Jabiru
I have set my electric mes at 225 set at that temp it is often 235ish before turning off and dropping to around 223 before turning on again. I have never had a problem, But i also smoke until well done.

Reactions: pc farmer
There's a rule when smoking meats... If you smoke below200 ish, add cure#1 to prevent the growth of botulism bacteria...
Ground meats are FULL of bacteria due to the grinding process... Any bacteria is distributed throughout the meat, not just on the surface... Whole muscle meats are considered sterile on the inside if they have not been poked, prodded, injected etc. to pull surface contamination to the interior of the muscle...

And ground meat has more surface area available to breed any bacteria that may be present.

Those who insist on smoking meats without nitrates, should be aware that the internal meat temperature trails the temperature of the smokehouse by about 25° F and to be on the outside of the danger zone, the smoking must be performed at temperatures higher than 170° F (77° C) which in our opinion becomes cooking with smoke.

This^^^^^^is why the USDA's recommended minimum Hot Smoking temp is 225°F.
Thanks for posting Dave...JJ

Reactions: chilerelleno
I smoke ground beef all the time & add it to my chili recipe. But I smoke it at 250 until done. I usually just make one big patty like this.
11-2-16 2.JPG

Meatloaf
Fatties
Burgers
Beer Can Burgers
Moinks
Meatballs

Yes, you can smoke ground meat.
Smoke it any way you please until it's at safe temp, then use the same as any other browned ground.
Just remember the 140° within 4 hours rule.
is this rule just for ground meat or does it apply to brisket and such? thanks

is this rule just for ground meat or does it apply to brisket and such? thanks

Please clarify which rule you are questioning... I will gladly help out...

Internal meat temp to 140F within 4 hours ???
Yes... ground meats, Yes.... injected or infused meats....
Whole muscle meat are considered sterile inside and only the outer 1/2" or so needs 145F+ in a somewhat rapid manner to kill any bacteria on the outside if slow cooking... 165F is a safer temp to kill many pathogens that are regular visitors to foods you eat... Then the temperature can be safely lowered ..... for something cooked rare... Like, searing a steak, is a good example...

Thermal Death Time Curve.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky