HeMan Soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbern

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 27, 2015
Southwest Minnesota
Decide yesterday to make a batch of HeMan soup, this was taken from a recipe of my moms. Don't know how it got it's name, as the recipe is way older than the comic book character.

The ingredients include bacon, hamburger, onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, rice, tomato paste, black pepper, salt{can be left out}, and tomato paste. I also add a little bit of garlic powder myself.

start by frying the bacon, I like it very crisp, then crumble it, then in the bacon grease brown the hamburger { i also brown some onion along with the hamburger} and drain off the grease

than cut up the carrots, celery, potatoes, and more onion. add water to a large pot, dump in all the ingredients and simmer until the vegetables are as tender or chewy as you like them. i like them very soft myself.

in the pictures of the soup the celery is hard to see as i didn't have quite as much as i would have liked, so i did add in some celery seed.

not much for smoking in this meal, except i had ground up some leftover pork roast that i had smoked for a short time and made that into sandwich meat with pickles and miracle whip. i forgot to get a picture of the sandwich i made with that.

it is very much a comfort food to me and being it was only in the single digits outside yesterday I enjoyed it alot! also took in a portion to my folks who live about 5 miles away and they loved it too. thanks for looking! IMG_20221217_103032316.jpg IMG_20221217_103044765.jpg IMG_20221217_103054060.jpg IMG_20221217_103757406.jpg IMG_20221217_103914979.jpg IMG_20221217_122549362.jpg IMG_20221217_163631667.jpg

Looks really good! Don't believe I've had anything like this before. But the closest was perhaps minestrone soup. Bookmarked!

Reactions: tbern
Looks really good from here bern. I've never eaten it before, but one of my friends moms growing up would make something very similar.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: tbern
Looks really good from here bern. I've never eaten it before, but one of my friends moms growing up would make something very similar.

Point for sure
Chris
thanks Chris! yep, definitely a "mom" recipe!

Nice tbern tbern . I can taste it . That's a Midwest staple in my opinion .
We call it " Homemade soup " , and if someone says soup in my house , that's what they mean . We use egg noodles in ours , and no bacon .
You have me wanting some now . So good .
Nice post bud . Next time I make it I'll add my version .

Reactions: bauchjw and tbern
Nice tbern tbern . I can taste it . That's a Midwest staple in my opinion .
We call it " Homemade soup " , and if someone says soup in my house , that's what they mean . We use egg noodles in ours , and no bacon .
You have me wanting some now . So good .
Nice post bud . Next time I make it I'll add my version .
thanks chopsaw! the egg noodles sound really good too! looking forward to seeing your version!

Reactions: chopsaw
That looks and sounds fantastic!! There sure has been a run recently on comfort food threads, and this is yet another in a great line-up of spectacular food. Thanks very much for posting this. It's right up my alley!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky