Smoking more ribs this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tsonka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 19, 2016
Wichita, Kansas
Ok, Last weekend did my first solo smoke on the WSM, St. Louis ribs

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/246297/first-solo-smoke-st-louis-ribs

As mentioned, they were too smokey, that was what made me say Ive had better.

Gong to do another batch this weekend and have a few thoughts on reducing the smoke taste

1. Many pictures in the linked thread, but briefly, last time I used a modified Minion with 2 larger chunks of Hickory at the starting point. I did this thinking since meat only takes in smoke the first few hours, I wanted more smoke at the start

This time around Im going to use Pecan and only have 1 chunk at the starting point, not 2

2. Let the smoker come to temp and have my white smoke turn blue / invisible before putting on the ribs? Last time I put the ribs on and covered everything up from the get-go.  White smoke is bitter smoke ... how would it do to wait until that white smoke has gone away to start the ribs?

Any other suggestions?

Or you might try just one chunk of hickory. I use 1 hickory and 2 cherry (small). Everybody has different reactions to the amount of smoke, you keep "experimenting" until you get what you like!! But you method is pretty good, just adjust the amount of wood you use or the type. Have fun!!!

Sonia asked a great question as I'm a beginner. I too am doing some ribs this weekend.

Do you put the meat on right away in the white smoke or wait for the blue smoke?

Chad

I like to wait for the smoke to clean up to TBS. I also don't like hickory on my ribs. I think it's a little strong. Besides, on a WSM the smoke comes straight up to the meat, whereas in an offset, the smoke just flows over the meat. That may be a stretch, but it sounds good.

I would try a couple of cherry chunks at the first of the cook and put it in at the same time as the meat, when you have good smoke.

Reactions: thebig1
I like to wait for the smoke to clean up to TBS. I also don't like hickory on my ribs. I think it's a little strong. Besides, on a WSM the smoke comes straight up to the meat, whereas in an offset, the smoke just flows over the meat. That may be a stretch, but it sounds good.

I would try a couple of cherry chunks at the first of the cook and put it in at the same time as the meat, when you have good smoke.

Ok Joe, so what you're saying, and I hope that Sonia is wondering the same thing, you light the fire,get it to temp and let that smoke burn out. Then you add your meat and your actual smoking wood. Is this right?

Let's add in a few details to make myself a little clearer. On a WSM, I would fill the charcoal ring with the amount of lump that I thought the cook would take. Put briqs into a chimney to about 2/3 full and light. When the briqs are ashed over, put them on top of the lump. When the lump is burning well, assemble the WSM with all of the vents wide open. When the cooker is up to temp, and the smoke is clearing up, put the meat on and throw in 2-4 fist sized cherry chunks. After the chunks ignite, they may smoke for a couple of minutes, but will settle back to give you a good TBS.

I hope this gives you enough information to get started. After you have tweaked it a little bit to your individual needs, you will have good smoking.

Here's how I run my WSM. It works really well for me and alleviated any over smoking. First I don't bury chunks any more, I use splits or large chunks depending on the length of the cook. Brisket or shoulder get two splits, ribs get one, chickens get a couple large chunks etc. First, I start my chimney on the charcoal grate with the middle section installed minus the pan. Once I put the middle section on, I put my splits/chunks on the grate to pre heat. After the coals are ready I fill the charcoal ring with unlit coals, dump the chimney on top and place the splits on top of the lit coals. They usually ignite immediately and I’ll replace the middle section and let them flame for about 5-10 minutes. After they get a good flame going, I install the water pan and grates and put the lid on with the vents wide open. Once the temp is dialed in I let it go until the smoke is thin and blue.. Usually about a half hour or so. At that point the meat goes on and I relax. I typically use pecan that i get from a friend. store bought chunks are usually hickory. There are many ways to skin a pork shoulder but this way really works well for me and given the best results since I started smoking. Hope it helps and good luck on those ribs.
Lance

Less photos today since rib prep is the same as last, exact same recipe. I was satisfied with all but smokiness last time but will have some Qview in the end.

Today I changed things by

1. Less wood and used Pecan instead of Hickory. I took note of the Cherry mention but I already have Pecan. Placed 1 large chunk in the beginning instead of 2 and only 2 small pieces in the middle of the ring, probably 25-30% less wood total

2. Added gaskets. I have read that the leakage of the WSM doesn't matter. Even if it is all mental, to "me" it is $18 well spent

3. Gonna let it run until the white smoke turns light blue / invisible before I put meat on. Based on last time should take about an hour.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky