Smoking just a beef point, ideas other than burnt ends?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stevehollx

Original poster
Mar 26, 2022
Smoking just a beef point, ideas other than burnt ends?

I have the point of a beef brisket left over from pastrami. It is uncooked. I’ve got a coriander cardamom rub on it, and it’s in the smoker right now. Curious what I can do with it other than cubing and throwing tomato barbecue sauce on it and making burnt ends. Last time the burnt ends didn’t come out well. A bit fatty greasy and charred from the sugar in the sauce.

Is it possible to do something with slicing it? Would I take it to 200/probe tender still? Maybe with a chimichurri sauce? Anyone else have ideas?

Welcome aboard.
Well, burnt ends don't have to be saucy and sugary, and they are cut into pieces for ease of eating since they are rendered and super tender. Click photo to supersize.
tgBr5Gx.jpg

That said, I make a dish called 'Cajun rice and gravy' (which always includes some sort of meat, traditionally it's shredded beef) and using uber-tender point meat works great for this meal. There are recipes all over the internet.
Wj5DzDO.jpg

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Thanks! Gave me the confidence to slice it. Brought it to about 200 and it was probe tender.

It was a bit tough—maybe didn’t take it far enough, but the feedback was really good and it disappeared with 16 people, so I’d say it went over well.

That is the best part of a brisket, IMHO.
So you can slice it, cube it, or freeze it whole.
I would use it cubed in chili, bean or pea soup, or any dish that required well done meat.
We usually use the point for pastrami & the flat for regular smoked brisket, or corned beef.
Al

We usually use the point for pastrami & the flat for regular smoked brisket, or corned beef.

Next time I do pastrami, I may just make pastrami with both sides since I think I may just always prefer pastrami to 'normal' brisket. I guess the question is if it should be pickled & smoked as two separate muscles or in one piece. Imagine pickling separately allows the cure to penetrate better, and then if you want both muscles you can just mix and match various slices in the sandwich. Probably will do 2 separate pickles next time I do it.

Next time I do pastrami, I may just make pastrami with both sides since I think I may just always prefer pastrami to 'normal' brisket. I guess the question is if it should be pickled & smoked as two separate muscles or in one piece. Imagine pickling separately allows the cure to penetrate better, and then if you want both muscles you can just mix and match various slices in the sandwich. Probably will do 2 separate pickles next time I do it.

If we are making pastrami, we always separate the two. I think the best pastrami is made from the point. I also think the best corned beef is made from the flat. But you can experiment & see what you & your family like the best & go with that.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky