Smoking Homemade Bratwurst without casing...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alex cook

Original poster
Oct 16, 2019
I have never done this but am excited to make my own brats with pork and beef and smoke them. I don't like casings so am going to form "logs" (maybe the shape of a Twinkie) and smoke them. My plan is to refrigerate after forming so they can firm up, then place them on the smoker and likely grill a bit at the end to form a crust.

I've done lots of smoking on my Weber but never this. Does anyone have any tips? I worry that the brat log will fall apart. if it works I'll share the recipe and pics! Thank you for any thoughts and/or suggestions!

You can get fibrous collagen casings to stuff the sausage in then remove the casings after you smoke them. A lot of folks do this with Summer sausage and other similar types where casing is not desired. They are cheap and will make your life a LOT easier.

Been there, done that,
Robert

The Fibrous Casing or Collagen Casing is a good idea but you can go without. The key? Keep the mix COLD and get a Good Bind! Add your Salt and Seasoning then Mix it. Place in the refer for an hour. Now start mixing again. When you think all looks good, Mix some more! You are looking for a very Sticky Paste. Rest in the refer over night. Next day, Wet you hands and form your logs, gently placing them on your racks. Hot Smoke, 225+, to an IT of 125 then finish to 165 on the grill...JJ

Thank you both so much! Will be making this weekend and will report back! Alex

"Thank you both so much! Will be making this weekend and will report back!"

If you're referencing my reply, you're more than welcome. God knows I got more help there when I started making sausage than should be allowed by law :emoji_laughing: One thing is for certain, after years in the forum, I know in no uncertain terms that you can't go wrong with following advice from JJ. The man knows of what he speaks!!

Robert

Reactions: chef jimmyj
P.S. we will be expecting to see a pictorial documentation of what you do. Please know that in this forum, no pics, never happened :emoji_wink:

Setting the record straight,
Robert

Reactions: zwiller
I saw a kabob maker thing on insta...this thing seems doable without much issue or the plastic dohicky. I say fire it up to temp and chow down!

Good ideas so far. Another option and is something people do around here is brat burgers. I suppose you could smoke them but folks here just grill them.

Reactions: chopsaw
I saw a kabob maker thing on insta...this thing seems doable without much issue or the plastic dohicky. I say fire it up to temp and chow down!

The reviews were ok IF you get a New, Unused one and it has all the parts. The large tube on a Sausage Stuffer would do a better/faster job of pumping out sticks...JJ

I have never done this but am excited to make my own brats with pork and beef and smoke them. I don't like casings so am going to form "logs" (maybe the shape of a Twinkie) and smoke them. My plan is to refrigerate after forming so they can firm up, then place them on the smoker and likely grill a bit at the end to form a crust.

I've done lots of smoking on my Weber but never this. Does anyone have any tips? I worry that the brat log will fall apart. if it works I'll share the recipe and pics! Thank you for any thoughts and/or suggestions!

One last question before I begin my quest to make these - what are your thoughts on Salt Pork vs Fatback as an ingredient?? Thank you!

Commercial Salt Pork and Fatback, Vac-packed in Grocery Stores, are CRAZY SALTY! I have no idea how long it would take to soak it out. Get Fresh Back Fat or a piece of Fresh Pork Belly...JJ

Exactly what JJ said!! He knows what he's talking about AND youd never want that much salt in your sausage. Well...I wouldn't anyway :emoji_wink:

Not into massive salt content,
Robert

Reactions: alex cook
bfchschub072708 002.jpg

bfchschub072708 002.jpg

I used to make polish sausage 'footballs' before I got a stuffer. About 3" long and 2" in the center. tapering to the ends like a football. Smoked them or baked them. Delicious!

Attachments

• bfchschub072708 003.jpg
    bfchschub072708 003.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky