smoking ham shank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old golfer guy

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 21, 2017
Need some more help for the vets. I wanted to do cure and smoke a whole leg for Thanksgiving but the meat dept at my store has not been able to get them from there supplier so I bought a fresh shank portion instead. I'm pretty sure of the way to cure it from all the info found on this site----thanks to all of you. My question is when I smoke it what will happen to the large end? The leg is cut in half leaving the large end of exposed meat. Will a portion of this have to be thrown away because it will be so burnt and smoky or is there a way to protect it during the smoke?
Thanks

You could always wrap it in some bacon or some foil to help out.
I would think that using a water pan may help to keep moisture going in the smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky