Homemade Deli Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
I had an extra pork loin after putting up 25 lbs of canadian bacon. We had seen a YT video of someone making a baked deli style ham out of a pork loin that looked good so wth?
Used the remainder of the brown sugar cure we had along with SPG. Vacuum sealed and let cure for 3 weeks.
Baked it at 350F until 160F internal temp.
Bagged it, and took it out this morning and sliced it up deli style on our Hobart. This will make some terrific ham sammiches
2023-09-17 12.53.02.jpg

That's gonna be delicious! I love thin sliced ham sandwiches!
Bet you love your slicer as well!

Ryan

Dang, I've never even thought of that. I'm super ham picky and won't eat a sandwich of it unless it's shaved. Most deli meat nowadays is pure D a$$, and have you seen the slicers they use? I like a pepperoni sandwich once in a while and I ask them to clean the slicer every time. I am totally curing a pork loin soon. They are often less than $2/lb here. Sometimes as low as 1.59 at Food Lion. Cheap deli ham is 6-7$

How have I been poking around on here for so long and never seen this!

Reactions: JLeonard
Dang, I've never even thought of that. I'm super ham picky and won't eat a sandwich of it unless it's shaved. Most deli meat nowadays is pure D a$$, and have you seen the slicers they use? I like a pepperoni sandwich once in a while and I ask them to clean the slicer every time. I am totally curing a pork loin soon. They are often less than $2/lb here. Sometimes as low as 1.59 at Food Lion. Cheap deli ham is 6-7$

I know right....Even at $2.99/pd for loin here its a lot cheaper than the deli sliced ham per pd. And I can go through some ham making a sammich.

Jim

Now that I'm off my phone I can give a more detailed reply.
I had an extra pork loin after putting up 25 lbs of canadian bacon. We had seen a YT video of someone making a baked deli style ham out of a pork loin that looked good so wth?
Used the remainder of the brown sugar cure we had along with SPG. Vacuum sealed and let cure for 3 weeks.
Baked it at 350F until 160F internal temp.
Bagged it, and took it out this morning and sliced it up deli style on our Hobart. This will make some terrific ham sammiches
View attachment 676394
I smoke mine and get it pasteurized at around 140°. Much juicier by staying lower temperature thanks to daveomak daveomak
I'm a low salt guy and no sugar cure.
I go 1% salt. Cure takes more than a month at lower salt.

Sorry, never thought to post the methods of my madness.
I cut my loins in 3 pieces for ease of handling. I'm also a bondage kind of guy and tie the pieces to get more uniform thickness for the cure.

For the most part anything I make that is back / Canadian bacon usually just ends up as sammich meat anyway. In fact a piece of loin is going in the cure this afternoon.

Reactions: chopsaw
I'm a low salt guy and no sugar cure.
I go 1% salt. Cure takes more than a month at lower salt.
I bought a pork loin at Costco over a year ago, it was $$ off at register so I figured I'd do something with it. Haven't yet but this sounds interesting. Do you cure with a wet cure or a dry cure?

I jumped in. Picked up a 4.22 lb loin last week sometime. Went with 1.65% salt (where I like my bacon) and all the way up to 2% on sugar. This is going to be the Thanksgiving ham. I have a small boneless spiral sliced in the freezer I picked up after last Easter closeouts as a backup, but have the utmost faith that I won't like the commercial ham (never do) and will love the loin ham.

I vac sealed it at about 11AM and left for work at 2:30 - it was already giving off moisture like crazy. Never had a chunk of pork or beef start the process so quickly. My plan is to go basic cure until the Sunday before, then crack open the bag and toss in a little pickling spices for 36-48 hours, seal it back up, then smoke it lightly on Tuesday and finish in a low oven. I only want about an hours worth of hot smoke, per the lady's request. I gotta go pretty close to 160. I don't think I'm ready for medium rare pork....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky