Smokin-It #3 Jerky Dryer Fan DIY Build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

conradjw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 27, 2019
Does anyone know the CFM of the Jerky Dryer Sold by Smoken-Tex and Smokin-It? I would like to build my own but I need the to know CFM first. I have viewed a few forums where people tried different fan speeds and blade pitch. And some pulled to much air out of the smoke chamber and others not enough .

I even considered going with a variable speed fan so I had a range of adjustment but still need to know what a fixed fan CFM is using first?

I am also considering some type of filter between the smoke chamber and the fan to stop creosote buildup on the fan?

I really appreciate it if anyone can share your invention and theory with me.

Has anyone had any experience in smoke jerky of making cured product like salami in these smokin-it electric smokers?

I have the analog model so there is a swing in temperature during on and off cycles.

Obviously I need to keep the temperature low enough so my fat doesn't melt because of temperature rising to high?

Is this possible without using a PID for to control temperature?

Also my other concern is enough heat to make the wood smolder for smoke? or do I need to add a smoke generator?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!

-John

I recently bought a 3d-wifi and posted about the jerky fan on the smoke-it forum. I was pointed to this: https://www.acinfinity.com/componen...-ac-cooling-fan-80mm-x-80mm-x-38mm-low-speed/ as a possible substitute for the jerky fan they sell.

I've done 4 different smokes with the fan and the type of smoke fuel seems to have more of an impact on the temp of the smoker than the fan does. With dust I would barely see any temp rise, but with pellets I could see as much as a 30 F rise in temperature.

I still need to verify the above statement by setting my smoker up with the fan and nothing inside it to see how the temperature stabilizes though.

But I will say that the addition of the fan and the additional air flow has really given me some nice smoke color on the last couple batches of BBB I've made.
IMG_3822.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky