Troubleshooting a ceiling fan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I have been through 6 of them, the electronic board goes out on most of them and the fan will only run slow, I quit buying that brand.
Does the electronic board also run the light?
I'm leaning to a loose connection in either the hot or more the neutral side at the box supporting the fan.
Lighting circuits tend to encompass multiple areas and not usually on a GFCI unless in a garage.

Reactions: 912smoker
Hope you get it worked out. My bedroom started making noise on high. Turned to med. Been good for a few months and started making noise. Ordered a new one few days ago. Turned back to high and now it quiet again. I hate to replace while it working but know it will do it again. I bought a 3 blade this time to try. Now if I can replace it without killing myself! It is over the bed. I had a friend that did this and fell off the bed and ended up having surgery. He fell down dead walking into the house from walking the dog. They said it was a blood clot from the surgery.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hope you get it worked out. My bedroom started making noise on high. Turned to med. Been good for a few months and started making noise. Ordered a new one few days ago. Turned back to high and now it quiet again. I hate to replace while it working but know it will do it again. I bought a 3 blade this time to try. Now if I can replace it without killing myself! It is over the bed. I had a friend that did this and fell off the bed and ended up having surgery. He fell down dead walking into the house from walking the dog. They said it was a blood clot from the surgery.

Well, my FIL is retired electrician. But for this very reason, I've not called him. He's 87 yo. He would insist on coming over to check it out, and next thing I know he's crawling up on a step ladder, there would be no holding him back. And I might have a heart attack watching him.

But I'm gonna call him this morning to get his thoughts on the switch and the house wiring. I'd always thought the problem was in the fan.

Yes everything runs off the board. Love having the remote but $130-$150 every time 1 dies, went away from the remote on this last 1 I put in kitchen and already did the bedroom

Yes everything runs off the board. Love having the remote but $130-$150 every time 1 dies, went away from the remote on this last 1 I put in kitchen and already did the bedroom

My guess, if its not the wall switch, you've nailed the problem and its time for a new fan.

Well, my FIL is retired electrician. But for this very reason, I've not called him. He's 87 yo. He would insist on coming over to check it out, and next thing I know he's crawling up on a step ladder, there would be no holding him back. And I might have a heart attack watching him.

But I'm gonna call him this morning to get his thoughts on the switch and the house wiring. I'd always thought the problem was in the fan.
I've been an electrician for over thirty years. Always start with the most obvious things first. If you don't know which breaker it is on. And if you have a voltage tester. Then start by checking all the breakers for voltage going out. It could be failed breaker. Yes, they can fail even when they are not tripped. On that note. Do you see a tripped breaker?
If that looks good. Then go to the switch. Or, just check the switch. If there's no power going to the switch. Then backtrack to the main panel. If there is power at the switch. But nothing going to the fan. Bad switch. If power is going to the fan. Then take fan down. And check for loose/faulty connections. If all that checks out. Then your fan is shot.

I've been an electrician for over thirty years. Always start with the most obvious things first. If you don't know which breaker it is on. And if you have a voltage tester. Then start by checking all the breakers for voltage going out. It could be failed breaker. Yes, they can fail even when they are not tripped. On that note. Do you see a tripped breaker?
If that looks good. Then go to the switch. Or, just check the switch. If there's no power going to the switch. Then backtrack to the main panel. If there is power at the switch. But nothing going to the fan. Bad switch. If power is going to the fan. Then take fan down. And check for loose/faulty connections. If all that checks out. Then your fan is shot.

There's no breaker tripped. That was the first place I went. But I'm almost positive there's more on this circuit than the fan.

Reactions: Steve H
Good ideas so far. Not a pro but have put in dozens of fans. Put in like 6 Hunters in for nephew in last year or so. I found it the strangest thing that the fan did not work unless the bulbs were installed. Maybe if all the bulbs are bad it does not run? One thing I have gotten stung on with fans a BUNCH of times is 3 way wiring that got either miswired or the old ugly 3 way switch got swapped out for a pretty new 2 way. In reality old fan was fine but someone flipped a switch and it no longer worked. If you have any switches in that room or nearby that seem not to do anything, try flipping them.

My Hunter ceiling fan refused to start. The light does not work either. Which tells me its not getting power.

I checked the breakers. But there's little chance this fan is on a breaker by itself and there were no breakers closed.

So I'm thinking possibly a loose wire. But I doubt that. If vibration would've caused a loose wire it would've quit while in operation. This fan worked fine until one day I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. I doubt a wire became loose while it was not running.

Any other possibilities ?

Its not easy to work on, its hanging from a 12 foot ceiling. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new fan. I figure if I pay an electrician to service the fan, I'm probably already near the price of a new fan.

But I'm giving this old one , a last chance. Thinking it might be something simple.
Similar but different here. mine are running real slow. used to push smoke out of patio overhang.
I go to orange or blue box store and cn't get someone that speaks intelligible English. Go to "fan store" and they want $500 per fan to replace. Since I'm post-stroke am not tickled with ladder on the bar. if it weren't for the drop bar I could replace easliy like in bedrooms.
and I know they're filthy
patio fan..jpg

Reactions: Smokin Okie
Similar but different here. mine are running real slow. used to push smoke out of patio overhang.
I go to orange or blue box store and cn't get someone that speaks intelligible English. Go to "fan store" and they want $500 per fan to replace. Since I'm post-stroke am not tickled with ladder on the bar. if it weren't for the drop bar I could replace easliy like in bedrooms.
and I know they're filthy
View attachment 691649

That is about the situation I'm working with, fan drops down from a 12 foot ceiling with a down rod.

Reactions: fxsales1959

Switch is good. FIL just left.

Its gotta be in the fan and I'm buying a new one.

If I'm gonna have the trouble of breaking down this fan, then I'm gonna replace it while I'm there.

Reactions: zwiller
Ugh! Dont envy you that job. I hate ladders. Hate to say it, but I'll work an extra shift to pay someone else to do.

Jim

Ugh! Dont envy you that job. I hate ladders. Hate to say it, but I'll work an extra shift to pay someone else to do.

Jim
Same here. I could do it, but I don't like doing it, so I have an electrician that does most my work at reasonable prices.

Still do some, but avoid ladders.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm glad it was suggested here, to check the wall switch.

If I'd installed a new fan and then found out the wall switch was the problem .......... that would've been below average .

You should still look into why it failed. To make sure this doesn't repeat itself. What type of controls are you using for the fan? Is there a rheostat/motor speed control used for the motor or lights? Are they underrated for the load? Are you using LED bulbs? If you are. Is the control rated for it?

I'm glad I ran into this thread. I have a Hunter fan that won't run on medium speed and the lights don't work. It is the capacitor. I was going to buy one two years ago but they were sold out almost everywhere and the only place in stock was Hunter and they were about $60 with shipping.

I kinda gave up on it at that point. Now I took another look and ordered one for $10. I should have it by Sunday. I have cathedral ceilings so it is a fun job. Luckily nothing is directly under it.

Reactions: Smokin Okie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky