SmokeRx - the first large scale test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kbmckay

Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Portland, OR
I recently finished the build for my cold/hot smoker which my son-in-law thinks looks like a hospital crash cart so we named it SmokeRx. This last weekend my daughter and wife asked me to cook brisket and pulled pork for an event they were hosting for 150 people. Seemed like a good challenge. The smoker worked flawlessly and the results were fantastic. Here's some pictures.
Cabinet_Front.jpeg
Cabinet_Back.jpeg
Cabinet_Inside.jpeg

The supplies: 4 briskets and 3 pork butts should be enough all told about 140lbs before trimming.
Supplies.jpeg

All prepped and ready to go:
All prepped.jpeg

Starting the cook:
Beginning of the smoke.jpeg

About 12 hours later pretty much done. Was really fortunate everything finished up within about an hour.
After 12 Hours.jpeg

The brisket:
Look at the bark on the brisket.jpeg

Finished Brisket.jpeg

The finished pork:
Finished Pork Butt.jpeg

Got lots of compliments and most importantly there were no left overs! I'm calling it a success.

Pretty impressive! It all looks delicious. What temp did you cook at and did you see any big temps swings from top to bottom of your cabinet?
I cooked at 225 throughout although for the first several hours it was more like 200 until all that meat came up to temp. Top rack to bottom I'm really only seeing 5 degree or less variation - I mounted 2 circulation fans in the back above the elements and they seem to be doing a pretty good job of evening the temps out.

Reactions: Will Squared
Nice Smoker!
Nice Brisket!
Nice Pork!!
Nice Kitchen!
Like.
I built a Kitchen similar to yours, with the same Island with the step-up to the Bar on the back side. It even had the Fireplace at the same place!!
Is that a Fountainhead or Corian Top---Looks like Fountainhead from here.

Bear

Nice Smoker!
Nice Brisket!
Nice Pork!!
Nice Kitchen!
Like.
I built a Kitchen similar to yours, with the same Island with the step-up to the Bar on the back side. It even had the Fireplace at the same place!!
Is that a Fountainhead or Corian Top---Looks like Fountainhead from here.

Bear
I'd like to take credit for designing the kitchen but the previous owners did it. We like it too! Great for cooking and entertaining. The countertops are quartz I believe.

I'd like to take credit for designing the kitchen but the previous owners did it. We like it too! Great for cooking and entertaining. The countertops are quartz I believe.

Hmmm---Cool !!
Yours Looks like Fountainhead.
Quartz is a new one on me, but that was 20 years ago that I was making Kitchens.
Looks Great!

Bear

I cooked at 225 throughout although for the first several hours it was more like 200 until all that meat came up to temp. Top rack to bottom I'm really only seeing 5 degree or less variation - I mounted 2 circulation fans in the back above the elements and they seem to be doing a pretty good job of evening the temps out.
Good deal. That was quite a load of meat. I’d say you got yourself a fine smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky