Smoker turned off while smoking a brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For those of you reading this getting ready to try your first brisket, do yourself a favor and buy a remote thermometer where you can monitor the smoker temp. One with a low alarm would be good as well. They aren’t expensive, most likely less than the brisket itself these days. That way when you go to bed, it’ll wake you up if the smoker temp drops below set point, and you can get it going again asap.

Oops. Wasn’t quite sure how to attach to this thread, so just replied to the latest.

Thanks for the quick response. No I didn’t inject it, just the salt and spice rub. Also put it on the smoker cold from the fridge. I just don’t think it got to 140 and fear the smoker was off for quite some time before I caught it. The meat and smoker were not hot, as I said basically outside temp which was around 65-68.

What do you think?

You are fine...Intact meat only has bacteria on the surface and they were killed in the first hour. Getting to 140° in 4 hours does not apply to Intact meat...JJ

Hi there! New here. I’m hoping I’m doing this correctly.
I’m hoping you can help guide me. I put my brisket in an electric smoker last night at 11pm. I woke up to find out the smoker turned off. The brisket cooked for about 7hrs at 225. I don’t know what the last brisket temp was. Do I continue to cook? If so, how? I don’t want a dry brisket. Feeding a group of people :(((
Super bummed.
12.7lb brisket - electric smoker at 225 cooked for 7 hrs.

i have sent chef Jimmy a pm as well.

• Haha
Reactions: dr k
You are fine...Intact meat only has bacteria on the surface and they were killed in the first hour. Getting to 140° in 4 hours does not apply to Intact meat...JJ
This thread helped me save my brisket!!

By the time I discovered that the smoker was off, I guesstimate that it smoked for 8 hours (@225F) and the smoker was off for maybe 2 hours (ran out of pellets). Smoker was @ambient temp - 50F and brisket was @115F , so I was worried.

Cooked 6 more hours (smoker, Texas Crutch wrap and indoor oven combination) and the brisket reached @200F.

It was slightly drier than usual, but still juicy and delicious.
A week later all 7 of us are feeling fine. No issue with the meat.

Please help! I need to know asap if my meat is ruined. (Do I need to run to the store for an Easter ham now?)
15# packer brisket, salted and seasoned and out of the fridge or 2 hours prior to putting in the Traeger. It was not injected but I did put the probe in it when I put it in the smoker. Smoker was set to 180 super smoke when I went to bed, in at 9 pm.

5 am this morning, the smoker was not working, internal temp of the brisket was 127. I have no idea what the temp ever got to. It was somewhat warm in the Traeger still.

I have set it now to 225 And found this forum (thank you!). Is this meat ruined? I don’t want to give anyone food poisoning!

Please help! I need to know asap if my meat is ruined. (Do I need to run to the store for an Easter ham now?)
15# packer brisket, salted and seasoned and out of the fridge or 2 hours prior to putting in the Traeger. It was not injected but I did put the probe in it when I put it in the smoker. Smoker was set to 180 super smoke when I went to bed, in at 9 pm.

5 am this morning, the smoker was not working, internal temp of the brisket was 127. I have no idea what the temp ever got to. It was somewhat warm in the Traeger still.

I have set it now to 225 And found this forum (thank you!). Is this meat ruined? I don’t want to give anyone food poisoning!
If it was at 127 after 8 hours in the smoker then I wouldn’t worry about it. Just keep it going & enjoy your Easter dinner!
Al

Reactions: bigfurmn
I am so thankful for this forum! Thank you for the replies and advice, we finished the brisket and it was delicious and we are all fine! If I hadn’t found the insight of others on this forum, I probably would’ve ditched a perfectly good piece of meat. Thank you again!

Reactions: TNJAKE
I am so thankful for this forum! Thank you for the replies and advice, we finished the brisket and it was delicious and we are all fine! If I hadn’t found the insight of others on this forum, I probably would’ve ditched a perfectly good piece of meat. Thank you again!
Glad some folks could help out. Drop by roll call and introduce yourself!

For next time something you should seriously consider. Pick up a good wireless probe unit that has a minimum of two probes, one for the grate and the other for the protein. The unit should have an alarm that you can set the unit grate probe to tell you if the smoker goes below a certain temp. Test and make sure it works. If battery operated make sure the batteries are good! This simple addition will help to ensure your overnight smoke. Now you might get an alarm and have to get up to fix things, but such is the nature of the overnight smoke process.

Reactions: bill1 and TNJAKE
Hello, took me about 5 hours to reach 140 on pork shoulder. Unfortunately , I did put thermometer in the from the start. And also hung out right around 140 for a couple hours after reaching 140 due to smoker issue. What are your thoughts? Ok to eat?

Hello, took me about 5 hours to reach 140 on pork shoulder. Unfortunately , I did put thermometer in the from the start. And also hung out right around 140 for a couple hours after reaching 140 due to smoker issue. What are your thoughts? Ok to eat?
It's fine. Go to the food safety forum and find the several pinned threads at the top. The 40-140 in 4 hour guideline has you covered and read the others.

Reactions: 912smoker
Hey everyone, I messaged jimmy waiting for the reply so figured I mention this here as well. I had my brisket smoking last night at 210 degrees starting at 630pm. My friend who stayed the night went to bed around 2-3am and that was when last checked it and the smoker was still running. I Go out to check at 630 and seems we forgot to add pellets before bed. I’m not sure when the smoker turned off but my guess is somewhere between 3-4am. My brisket is not injected, has a salted rub on it. I got the smoker going again as soon as possible. I haven’t checked the IT of the brisket at all yet so it hasn’t been poked or anything. I’ve got it on 225 smoking now, will be checking internal temps around 9am. Am I good to eat this later should it be safe?

You will be fine if you started at 6:30 and it ran until 2 or 3 when your friend went to sleep. You did the right thing in getting it going again now just keep going as you planed. Enjoy the brisket and post some pictures of it when you get it done. Jimmy passed awhile back he is missed by all of us.

"You are fine...Intact meat only has bacteria on the surface and they were killed in the first hour. Getting to 140° in 4 hours does not apply to Intact meat"

Reactions: schlotz
Without knowing what the IT of the brisket was when it lost heat, and how long without heat, I don't think you can really say if it is good or bad, only make an educated guess.
My understanding is, if IT was under 140f for 4 hours or more then you are at risk.
If it was over 140f when it lost heat, should be OK.

You will be fine if you started at 6:30 and it ran until 2 or 3 when your friend went to sleep. You did the right thing in getting it going again now just keep going as you planed. Enjoy the brisket and post some pictures of it when you get it done. Jimmy passed awhile back he is missed by all of us.

"You are fine...Intact meat only has bacteria on the surface and they were killed in the first hour. Getting to 140° in 4 hours does not apply to Intact meat"
Thank you so much for the reply, I’m sorry to hear about jimmy!

Without knowing what the IT of the brisket was when it lost heat, and how long without heat, I don't think you can really say if it is good or bad, only make an educated guess.
My understanding is, if IT was under 140f for 4 hours or more then you are at risk.
Not correct if it was an intact piece of meat the rules are different and his post tells you his brisket was intact.

Reactions: dr k
Yeah I was super concerned too until I found this thread. Now I’m not as concerned, it was cooking at 200 for 8 hours so I imagine it had to have been close or over 140. I could be wrong, it was 13.9 LBS, I trimmed it a little probably like just over 12 pounds total after trim. But it’s intact and not injected

Yeah I was super concerned too until I found this thread. Now I’m not as concerned, it was cooking at 200 for 8 hours so I imagine it had to have been close or over 140. I could be wrong, it was 13.9 LBS, I trimmed it a little probably like just over 12 pounds total after trim. But it’s intact and not injected
Don't worry about it at all your brisket falls under different rules since it was intact ie you didn't inject it or puncture the meat. I edited my first post below your original post and quoted Jimmy's answer to your question trust me it has come up way more than once lol

Reactions: seanyjon
Don't worry about it at all your brisket falls under different rules since it was intact ie you didn't inject it or puncture the meat. I edited my first post below your original post and quoted Jimmy's answer to your question trust me it has come up way more than once lol
Appreciate the quick responses! So happy to know the brisket isn’t ruined :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky