Smoked whole chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow that looks good. It was a long time before I did chicken in my smoker but it is now in my top three favorite meats to smoke. Looks like you did a fine job. What rub did you use?

I never try and put rubs under the skin...just apply things to the outside.  Really the only skin I like on poultry things is on Fried Chicken!

Kat 
a39.gif

Jeff's Rubio could not get it under the skin tho it kept ripping so I 86ed that idea
You have to be really careful when lifting the skin...if it starts ripping it just doesn't stop.  You made the right decision to stop, but I must say - if you can get the rub under the skin it is worth the time it takes!

Nice looking birds by the way.

Bill

Nice looking chicken! I have the same problem with rubbing under the skin. I get it done 3 out of 4 times.

Disco

My grandmother taught me to use the handle end of a spoon to run between the skin and the meat to separate the two. I don't do it very often because it still takes some time to do.

If you are trying to raise the skin for butter, spices, or some fancy type fried duck, a lady friend taught me long ago to use a rubber spatula. It doesn't tear the skin and a good silicon spatula has enough "push" to get thru the  layers.

I never think on it, but it works when my fingers get too tight. Especially on the leggs.

She said she had seen people use an air compressor to blow the skin up like a baloon, I never caught her in a lie so.......

Last edited:
That's was suppose to be Jeff's rub I was listening to talk radio while I was texting. Micheal Berry must have said something about Marco Rubio. Lmbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky