Smoked Turkey Taters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Preacher Man

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Where The River Runs Through It
This is a follow up to my Meal Prep Turkey thread that I posted a while back. I'm trying to post the different ways I used the meat I put up to give others ideas on how they can use leftovers.

Who doesn't love taters? and who doesn't love smoked turkey? Well then, it stands to reason that Smoked Turkey Taters would be a hit (psst...they are!).

I started with some potatoes drizzled with olive and kosher salt and put in the oven to bake (350º for about an hour). When they became soft, I sliced them in half and scooped out some of the inside. I didn't want to make just loaded potato skins appetizers, so I was sure to leave some of the inside to make it a filling meal.
20190319 (2).jpg

If you have time to fry them up crisp a little at this point, it adds an awesome texture element to the dish. I didn't want to deal with that tonight, so it got skipped.

After that I filled it with pulled turkey that I had mixed with a little homemade bbq sauce of choice. The BBQ was mainly to keep the meat from drying out when I put it back in the oven, but also because taters is one of those base layers that is comfortable taking on a ton of flavor.

After the turkey I loaded on the cheese.
20190319 (3).jpg

Back in the oven at 350º until the meat was heated through and the cheese was melted. I started with meat straight out of the fridge and it didn't take hardly any time at all to heat it through.

Top it with some sour cream (I used the old ziploc bag with a corner cut off trick), jalapeno bacon, and fresh sliced green onion.

Whipped up some simple cole slaw and called it a meal.
20190319 (1).jpg

Looks good Preacher

Point for sure
Chris

Great write up on this! Always enjoy your posts.
Thank you, kindly!
Point worthy tater Preacher!

Pretty work.
Thanks! My wife is always pokin' fun at me for plating my meals.
Nice looking meal Preacher!
It looks delicious!
And congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al
Thanks for the love, Al!
PM, That looks like a great meal !
Thanks! It was a hit, for sure.
Nicely done PM! The choir is singing!
No sir, the choir is too full and they're napping.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky