Smoked Ribeye Roast Temperature Difficulties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanielTurner

Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
Today i’m smoking an 8lb ribeye roast. I’m smoking it at 275-300 on a Weber Kettle. I assumed it would take around 4 hours but I’m at around 2.5 hours and it’s only at 72 degrees. At this rate it’ll take another 3 hours. Does anyone know why this is occurring and how to fix it? I was planning on maybe wrapping it or worst case scenario I just put it in the oven.

I'm assuming you have a horizontal indirect set-up like with a side basket or mound of coals? How are you measuring the temp at the grate? A cable thermometer is much more accurate than a thermometer in the lid. Just make sure the probe is 2" or 3" away from the meat.

I'm assuming you have a horizontal indirect set-up like with a side basket or mound of coals? How are you measuring the temp at the grate? A cable thermometer is much more accurate than a thermometer in the lid. Just make sure the probe is 2" or 3" away from the meat.
I’m using the snake method and it usually works pretty well for me. I have a cable thermometer dangling above the meat from the air vent.

Well, that eliminates my questions. So as long as the meat thermometer you're using is accurate, I don't have a clue. 300° in a Weber is a cooking machine.

Well, that eliminates my questions. So as long as the meat thermometer you're using is accurate, I don't have a clue. 300° in a Weber is a cooking machine.
So basically it took about 4.5 hours. I guess it was similar to a stall. After about 3 hours it started going up about 5 degrees every 10 minutes. I guess it’s just a lesson to trust the process.

Depending on the starting temp of the meat that time frame seems pretty spot on. I actually like to run my pit temp hotter when doing rib roasts. I usually aim for 325°f-350°f. That pit temp usually shaves off a good 1-1 1/2 hours cook time.
Also keep in mind with roasts like this weight doesn’t play into cook time. The thickness of the roast does. A 8 pound 2” thick (diameter) roast will take less time to cook than a 8 pound 8” thick (diameter) roast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky