Smoked Ribeye Roast Temperature Difficulties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

DanielTurner

Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
Today i’m smoking an 8lb ribeye roast. I’m smoking it at 275-300 on a Weber Kettle. I assumed it would take around 4 hours but I’m at around 2.5 hours and it’s only at 72 degrees. At this rate it’ll take another 3 hours. Does anyone know why this is occurring and how to fix it? I was planning on maybe wrapping it or worst case scenario I just put it in the oven.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I'm assuming you have a horizontal indirect set-up like with a side basket or mound of coals? How are you measuring the temp at the grate? A cable thermometer is much more accurate than a thermometer in the lid. Just make sure the probe is 2" or 3" away from the meat.

DanielTurner

Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
I'm assuming you have a horizontal indirect set-up like with a side basket or mound of coals? How are you measuring the temp at the grate? A cable thermometer is much more accurate than a thermometer in the lid. Just make sure the probe is 2" or 3" away from the meat.
I’m using the snake method and it usually works pretty well for me. I have a cable thermometer dangling above the meat from the air vent.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Well, that eliminates my questions. So as long as the meat thermometer you're using is accurate, I don't have a clue. 300° in a Weber is a cooking machine.

DanielTurner

Original poster
Apr 1, 2021
Well, that eliminates my questions. So as long as the meat thermometer you're using is accurate, I don't have a clue. 300° in a Weber is a cooking machine.
So basically it took about 4.5 hours. I guess it was similar to a stall. After about 3 hours it started going up about 5 degrees every 10 minutes. I guess it’s just a lesson to trust the process.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Depending on the starting temp of the meat that time frame seems pretty spot on. I actually like to run my pit temp hotter when doing rib roasts. I usually aim for 325°f-350°f. That pit temp usually shaves off a good 1-1 1/2 hours cook time.
Also keep in mind with roasts like this weight doesn’t play into cook time. The thickness of the roast does. A 8 pound 2” thick (diameter) roast will take less time to cook than a 8 pound 8” thick (diameter) roast.

Hot Threads