1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

smoked pig ears for dogs?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by stupidcosmoline, Apr 17, 2019 at 7:47 AM.

1. Has anyone on here smoked off pig's ears for dog treats? My butcher has agreed to save all of them for me and wanted to start Finishing them myself looking for some insight? TIA

2. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

They'll make great treats no matter how you preserve them.

Your Nick makes me laugh.
    Do you collect milsurp firearms?

3. biteme7951

biteme7951 Smoking Fanatic

Light smoke at 250 for about 5 hrs, or until dried out. as they have some fat in them and are not cured they need to be stored in the fridge if they will be used in a week, or freezer for longer storage.

Barry.

4. I do. It's funny not a whole lot of people get it. what would be the best way to preserve them that would be easy on a dogs stomach?

5. I'd like to preserve them somehow that wouldn't be bad for the dogs

6. biteme7951

biteme7951 Smoking Fanatic

Problem is, all the preservatives are bad for dogs. These are as fresh and natural as you can get.

Barry.

7. Freeze em.

8. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I used to keep a C&R.
    I still have most of my milsurps, but I just sold off a shooter Russian SKS.

What do you collect, any preferences?
    I was into Mosins and M39s, SKS and SVTs.

9. Mosin sks

10. Spodie Odie

Spodie Odie Newbie

You can't beat a Mosin. I got mine almost 10 years ago for a $100. Accurate and LOUD. Great for Tannerite :emoji_sunglasses:

11. Holly2015

Holly2015 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I would scald, scrape the hair and then dehydrate them in a 160 degree dehydrator until done.

Smoking or other flavorings are a waste. Dogs palates are not that discerning.

12. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Agree with Holly2015 treat them just like jerky dry only no seasoning though. Buy them in pet stores this way.

Warren