smoked meat in freezer

Discussion in 'Food Safety' started by moikel, Jun 4, 2016.

1. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I have been getting grief over the freezer jammed full of product.

How long does smoked pork keep for?I have bacon & hocks that I took to 60c internal in the smoker .Full brine of 7 days sticking to Pops measurements.I figure they are about 9 months old,never defrosted 

Household point blank won't come at it ,even though its been boiling on stove for hours to make soup.

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

If vac packed well over a year, year and a half.

3. fpmich

fpmich Smoking Fanatic

Straighten out your household?  LOL

I used to tell my kids they always had two choices for dinner.  Either whatever I was cooking, or nothing.  They usually ate dinner. <grin>

4. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

That's how I grew up! But I was born in 1959.
    There is a saying in Italian that translates as ( roughly) Eat it or don't eat but that's all there is. Household claims my cooking is to "meaty" . Turned down shoulder of young goat done low & slow in what I was taught was mountain style for reheated Chinese stir fry.

5. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Ditto to Case. I have some in my freezer now that is over a year old and it doesn't matter to me at all. The vacuum process is a great thing for smoked meat or anything for that matter.

6. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

The salt in frozen meat can cause rancidity over time, but a year should be no issue...JJ