Smoked Hungarians and Snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

coolkayaker

Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
New Berlin, WI
Hey Everyone!
I finally got my MES 130B broken in! 2 weeks ago I seasoned it following the instructions I found here on this site. Then this past weekend I made my first 2 batches of sausage and some snack sticks.

Recipes are for 5 lb batches...

For the snack sticks I used Greg's Spicy Snack Stick Recipe:
5 pounds of 80/20 ground beef
1 tsp. Insta Cure #1
3 Tbls. Salt
1-1/2 tsp. Black pepper
1-1/2 tsp. Red Pepper (McCormick Chipotle)
1-1/2 tsp. Garlic salt
2 tsp. Accent
2 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper (add more for additional heat)
1/2 tsp. Paprika
2 tsp. Crushed red pepper (I ran thru spice mill just a little to break up seeds)
2 tsp. Hot sauce (I used Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce)
1/2 cup Water (mix hot sauce into water with sugar and salt)
1 Tbls. Encapsulated citric acid (optional) - I did not use in this batch

For the Hungarians
5 lbs Coarse ground pork shoulder butt w/ fat
1 tsp. Insta Cure #1
24g Salt
3.45g Fresh Ground Pepper
2-3 Fresh minced garlic cloves
5.75g Sweet Paprika
2.2g Red Cayenne

Stuffed and ready for the smoker...

stuffed hungarians.jpg

Stuffed snack sticks.jpg

I smoked both with a combination of Hickory, Maple, and Cherry pellets in the AMNPS 5x8.
I was surprised because the AMNPS doesn't fit in the bottom left hand side like other posters said it would. I had to rest it on top of the wood chip tray. Seemed to work ok. See pic below.
Hungarians in smoker.jpg

After about 8-9 hours of heat here is the final product...
finished Hungarians.jpg

Finished snack sticks.jpg

They both turned out great for my first time smoking snack sticks and sausage. I can't wait to make more batches!

Thanks for looking!

- coolkayaker

Last edited:
They do look excellent. Yep either foil or a cut tin over your tray. Grease or moisture drips will easily smoother your pellet or dust

Great job on the sausage and sticks. They really look good. POINT.
Be careful setting your AMNPS on the wood chip tray--thats right over the heating element. You could end up burning a full tray of pellets in a real short time. I added a mailbox mod to my MES 30 even though it has a rack designed to hold the tray. The mod is real easy on a MES. You just run the piping in through the chip loader hole. Work real good for cold smoking too.
Gary

Those Sausages & Sticks Look Perfect !!
Like!

That's only in a Generation #1 that the AMNPS fits on the rods to the left of the Chip burner.
The Smoker you have I found the best place to put it is to put the bottom Rack in & put the AMNPS all the way on the right end of that bottom rack. Then you can pull the Chip dumper out about 3" to let air flow in, and keep your top vent open 100%. You might want to rotate that Chip Dumper 180° too.

Like Gary said, "You could run into trouble setting your AMNPS too close to the Heating element."

Bear

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all the kind words! I will def use Bearcarver's advice and throw the AMNPS on the bottom rack. Might do the mailbox mod in the future though! Thanks guys!

Those really do look great!

I'm curious, do you hang the snack sticks, or lay them on the racks? I've tried hanging, but they cook so much faster on the bottom end. I know someone is doing something smarter than me.

I hang them on s hooks from the top rack. I tried to keep them to the left side furthest from the heat element. My heat/smoke schedule was:

125 degrees - 60 min (dry out casings)
140 degrees - 60 min (apply smoke)
155 degrees - 120 min (apply smoke)
170 degrees - (4-5 hrs) until Internal Temp (IT) reaches 154 degrees
---------------------------------------------------
Ice bath for 10-15 minutes
Lay out in room temp for 60 minutes
Pack and refrigerate.

*Apply smoke after one hour of warm up
2-3 hours of smoke between 140 and 155 degrees.

I've had a few requests to post the spice mixes I used so I will do that tomorrow. I can't believe I made the carousel! Have a good night!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky