Smoked Chicken Stew with Dough Boys ( Dumplings )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
David
Made something like that myself just a few days ago. Reason why I said something like that is it really doesn't compare. Didn't smoke chicken, didn't season dumplings. Think your way probably made mine taste like something bought from a store.That looked and sounded so delicious. Think you knocked it out of the park.
kit

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That Stew looks pretty outstanding! I've not had Turnips in stew before, sounds interesting...JJ

Absolutely stunning David. I love chicken and dumplings but with Tracy being allergic to chicken I now make turkey and dumplings. Favorite way is with smoked breasts (Tracy prefers white meat) and being a die hard gravy junkie, I've always thickened the broth to where it was a gravy. Couldn't imagine eating it any other way. Congrats on the carousel ride too buddy!! Much deserved.

Robert

Awesome and I see I'm late to reply so I know there is no left overs. DANG my luck.
I grew up on that rib sticking meal. Grandmother some times would make it just using gizzard's and hearts which was my favorite.

Warren

It looks great! And the write up is so easy to follow. And I'm with you . I like it almost like a stew also. Now the cool days are here there are many soups to make and enjoy.

That meal is a 10+ if I ever saw it...

Thanks Dave for the like and the comment

It was a great meal , and thought of mom the whole time making and eating it because of the dough boys
First time I made with the dough boys and had sense she made them when we were little kids

David

Reactions: daveomak
Wow that is one delicious and hearty bowl of comfort! I feel warm and like napping after just looking at the pictures! A bowl of chicken and dumplings is sorely needed right now.

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

It was a great stick to your ribs kind of meal. Just got home from taking up and laying
new flooring at a job. Had to spoon back a big bowl as soon as I got in.

Be careful not to nap on the keyboard . God knows what you would type with face ... lol

David

Fantastic David . I know that hit the spot . Looks great and nice write up .
I'm with @Fueling Around around on the unleavened dumplings . Grew up on those .
Nice work bud .

Thanks Rich for the comment

Yes like I mentioned to FuelingAround that I will have to try that way also.
It sure did hit the spot .. a couple times . As I just throw a bowl down my throat
a bit ago, as I worked late again today.

David

PLEASE!!!! Pass the bowl!!! Mrs. Wurtz uses half potato/half bread in a sloppy spoonful, adds them to the gravy. They dissolve slightly and thicken the sauce while keeping some of the dumpling. She also will make potato dumplings which don't make the gravy as thick as the half & half. Thank you for the step-by-step.🍻
John

Thanks John for the comment

Wish I could have shared with everyone .... lol
I have never heard of the way Mrs. Wurtz makes the dumplings. Sounds good.
It was a great meal, glad you liked the pictures

David

David
Made something like that myself just a few days ago. Reason why I said something like that is it really doesn't compare. Didn't smoke chicken, didn't season dumplings. Think your way probably made mine taste like something bought from a store.That looked and sounded so delicious. Think you knocked it out of the park.
kit

Thanks Kit for the comment

Very nice of you to say that. But I am sure yours was also good. But the smoked chicken
did make this stew better than others I have made . And of coarse the dough boys were just
a sentimental thing I have wanted to do for a while , as have not had them sense Mom used to
make them for use as kids some 50 years ago, wow I'm old when I say it that way. lol

David

That Stew looks pretty outstanding! I've not had Turnips in stew before, sounds interesting...JJ

Thanks Chef for the like and the comment

The stew was fantastic , and Mona loved it also, so bonus for me.

As for the turnips, Mom was a farm girl and we had turnips a lot as I remember
growing up. Had it with most meals if there was carrots and potatoes , there was also turnips.
I did not care much for them as a kid. But if on the plate we had to eat it or we could not leave the table
until we did. So I used to mix/mash them with my potatoes so I could get them down. Now I like them better .

David

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky