• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoked Cheese for the holidays

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
I've got 3 turkeys in the curing brine for Thanksgiving, will buy 3 more on Thanksgiving Eve to put in the curing brine for our Christmas Party the 3rd Thursday of December.

For all the holiday events, need to accompany all with Smoked Cheese - a favorite for all!

Bought 10 slabs of Longhorn Cheddar at Bassham's yesterday, doing the smoking on them today.  Here it is relatively cool, around 58° this morning at 6 am.

Made two stacks of the cheese, 5 slabs each and cut into ¼'s.  You can see the curd on the end slice:

Cut them into ¼'s and laid out on the Amazen mats on racks in my smokehouse:

Lit the pellet A-Maze-N unit after heating the pellets (comb. of  Pitmaster and corn cob) in the microwave for 2 minutes and let it burn down to smoldering:

(Sorry, we just had the outside of our house painted - this is while on the BBQ grill).  Then, after about 5 minutes and the flames going out, into the smokehouse:

And just let it do it's wonderful Todd Johnson thing for about 8 hours!  So simple, so easy, so why not?!

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
(Yes, a big mouse nibbled on one of the pieces on the left of the bottom rack.... great sharp cheese!)

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks good Pops!

That's a mess of cheese, but I'm sure it will be eaten up quickly!

Al

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
Wow! That's a lot of cheese.... but 6 turkeys??? Impressive!

wade

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 12, 2013
What a lovely stack of cheese 

That reminds me I must do another batch...

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008

Wow! That's a lot of cheese.... but 6 turkeys??? Impressive!
Yes, I cure and smoke at least 3 turkeys, around 15lbs apiece for Thanksgiving (one for the family, one for my youngest son's boys to go back to college with, and one for my chiropractor) for Thanksgiving.  Then, I buy at least 3 - 20lb turkeys on Thanksgiving Eve to put down for Christmas for our Stroke Folks Christmas party too on the 3rd Thursday of December.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/174365/the-party

Last edited:

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Oh, and a BIG BTW, here is the web address to which this whole thread is made possible by Todd Johnson, inventor and producer of this amazing cold smoking device!

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Default.asp

His service after the sale is also Amazing, too!

mike w

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 13, 2014
Great lookin cheese! Looking forward to seeing those turkeys!

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looking Great, Pops!!

Better do something about that "Mouse". 

And "Right On" about Todd Johnson!!  He's the Best !!

Bear

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
They finished at 5pm (the pellets burned out throughout the tray) and pulled and packaged them up in 4 - 1 gallon ziploc's to let them mellow for a couple weeks or more; trying hard to forget about them, lol!

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 3, 2013
Nice post Pops.  I've driven by Basshams 1000 times while driving on  820 but never stopped. They sell beef too right?  Great smoke. Just in time for the holidays. Point! Brian

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
Last edited:

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.