SMOKE & SV PORK CHOPS(UPDATE SEE POST #25)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I was at Publix yesterday picking up a couple of bottles of wine for Judy & had to swing by the meat counter. Saw some pork chops & thought we haven't had these in a while, so I asked the butcher if he could cut me a couple of 1" thick bone in pork loin chops. Surprise to me the total bill was only $5.25. I need to buy these more often. I thought this would be a perfect day (it was nice & cool here) to put these on the smoker. And I thought I would smoke them to an IT of 125, and the SV them for 6 hours at 131. So here is how it went.
I put some of my pork rub on them & since it would be a short smoke I put them in the Smoke Vault.
IMG_5243.JPG

I'm using hickory chunks & chips, this should be enough to last for an hour or so.

IMG_5244.JPG

While it's smoking I'll get the SV ready.

IMG_5257.JPG

They are just about ready, I'm pulling them out at 125, and it took about 1 hour & 15 minutes to get there.

IMG_5252.JPG

Here they are out of the smoker.

IMG_5255.JPG

Next into the vac bag.

IMG_5260.JPG

And finally into the water at 131 degrees.

IMG_5287.JPG

IMG_5262.JPG

IMG_5263.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

After 4 hours. We were hungry & I didn't want to wait the full 6 hours.

IMG_5291.JPG

Out of the bag.

IMG_5295.JPG

In the meantime Judy made some cous cous with peas & asparagus.

IMG_5298.JPG

And it's dinner time!

IMG_5300.JPG

Cut a little piece to give it a try!

IMG_5304.JPG

The verdict is that it is just as tender & juicy as it looks & for the cost, this is going to be a regular on our weekly menu for sure. Although I think next time I'm going to shoot for 6 hours in the SV. It wasn't quite tender enough to cut with a fork & I had originally wanted to go 6 hours, but we were both getting hungry, so I cut it short to 4 hours.
Anyhow thanks for looking folks!
Al

Looks like another fine plate Al. Your making a strong case for the SV.

Point for sure.

Chris

That looks like a tasty meal Al! We also have been eating a lot of pork lately, beef is expensive.

I’ve been butterflying pork loin into thick chops and grilling them. I’ll have to try SVing them again.

I tried SVing the thin boneless pork chops but they weren’t tender. I will try again using your method.

Al those look lights out! I love the smoke then sv method! Great deal on the pork as well! Put yourself on the carousel! Well deserved!

Scott

Great lookin chops and meal.

Congrats on the carousel ride.

Very nice Al.Love me some Fat Chops one of my favorites!They are one of the things I can get cheap on a consistent basis.Congratulations on the carousel!;)

Bill

Great Looking Din-Din, Al !!:)
Nice Plate!! Like. (This would be a great place for a "Drooling" Smilie.

I just looked---My last experiment with SV Pork Chops was 134° for 3 1/2 hours (close to yours). They were Great, but I didn't care for them being 2" thick. Next time I'll cut mine to 1" thick like yours.
I just buy the Pork Loin---Much cheaper---and slice them into Chops myself. I can get Pork Loin for under $2 all the time.
That's the only Pork that's ever cheap around here!!

Bear

Looks like another fine plate Al. Your making a strong case for the SV.

Point for sure.

Chris

Thank you Chris,
For as cheap as the SV's are, they really are almost a must have item.
I find new ways to use mine daily!
Al

That looks like a tasty meal Al! We also have been eating a lot of pork lately, beef is expensive.

I’ve been butterflying pork loin into thick chops and grilling them. I’ll have to try SVing them again.

I tried SVing the thin boneless pork chops but they weren’t tender. I will try again using your method.

Thank-you,
I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well they come out, with Smoke & SV!
Al

Al those look lights out! I love the smoke then sv method! Great deal on the pork as well! Put yourself on the carousel! Well deserved!

Scott

Thanks Scott,
But I didn't put myself up there, I'm pretty sure Adam, @cfarmer, did that!
Al

Great lookin chops and meal.

Congrats on the carousel ride.

Thanks Adam!
And thanks for the ride on the carousel!
Al

They do look very juicy.

Awesome meal.

Thank-you my friend!
Al

Al that looks fantastic!! The only problem I see is, you probably should have made 4.
Point worthy

Thanks Doug,
I think I'll probably pick up a couple more next week, I really want to try them at 6 hours in the SV.
Al

Very nice Al.Love me some Fat Chops one of my favorites!They are one of the things I can get cheap on a consistent basis.Congratulations on the carousel!;)

Bill

Thank-you Bill,
I really appreciate the kind words!
Al

Looks great . Like to know the SV magic number myself .

Thank-you Sir!
That is why I want to try 6 hours next week, I feel confident that the extra 2 hours will get them fork tender.
We'll just have to see!
Al

Great Looking Din-Din, Al !!:)
Nice Plate!! Like. (This would be a great place for a "Drooling" Smilie.

I just looked---My last experiment with SV Pork Chops was 134° for 3 1/2 hours (close to yours). They were Great, but I didn't care for them being 2" thick. Next time I'll cut mine to 1" thick like yours.
I just buy the Pork Loin---Much cheaper---and slice them into Chops myself. I can get Pork Loin for under $2 all the time.
That's the only Pork that's ever cheap around here!!

Bear

Thanks a lot John, we can get loins for under $2 lb. here too, but I wanted the bone cause I think you get a juicier chop when the bone is still attached. I agree with you in that 2" seems a bit thick for pork chops, now a filet mignon at 2" would be just fine with me! Next week I'm going to get a couple more & give myself enough time to smoke & then 6 hours in the SV. I think that will do it!
Al

Thanks a lot John, we can get loins for under $2 lb. here too, but I wanted the bone cause I think you get a juicier chop when the bone is still attached. I agree with you in that 2" seems a bit thick for pork chops, now a filet mignon at 2" would be just fine with me! Next week I'm going to get a couple more & give myself enough time to smoke & then 6 hours in the SV. I think that will do it!
Al

Yup---You're probably right about juicier with the bone in.
Be sure & let me know about the 6 hour SV, but I don't think there will be a noticeable difference between 4 & 6 hours.
I think it has to be a bigger spread than that.

Bear

Wow !!! I'm Jealous, your pork chops look way better than mine I like those thick cuts :)

Gary

Those look fantastic Al! the plating is nice too. I like the smoke then SV. I have to get me a SV setup when i get back to work! LIKE!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Al looks good,I don't have SV and guess I don't have room for one either.
Richie
Geez forgot to hit post reply

This really looks great!! I enjoy a properly cooked thick pork chop as much as a good steak. My question Al is does the pork need to have an IT of 145 degrees to meet safety guidelines?
mds51

Yup---You're probably right about juicier with the bone in.
Be sure & let me know about the 6 hour SV, but I don't think there will be a noticeable difference between 4 & 6 hours.
I think it has to be a bigger spread than that.

Bear

Well John, I'm going to take your advice, I picked up a couple more chops today & I'm going to brine them in Pops brine in a vacuum canister for 24 hours Then I'm going to cold smoke them for about 3 hours, vac bag them & refrigerate overnight. Then the next day I'm going to put them in the SV for 10 hours at 131. We'll see how this turns out!
Al

Wow !!! I'm Jealous, your pork chops look way better than mine I like those thick cuts :)

Gary

Well thanks for the compliment Gary, but in my opinion everything you make looks very very good. I appreciate the kind words!
Al

Those look fantastic Al! the plating is nice too. I like the smoke then SV. I have to get me a SV setup when i get back to work! LIKE!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks Aaron!
Yea the SV really takes a lot of these meats over the top!
Al

Al looks good,I don't have SV and guess I don't have room for one either.
Richie
Geez forgot to hit post reply

Thanks Richie!
Really if you get the SV stick, they don't take up any room at all, you can use them in a pot that you already have. You don't need to buy a special pot.
Al

Looks Great Al!
I've been trying SV after smoking for a few things.
I really like it!

Thanks Sonny!
Yep those little SV sticks are really becoming an important part of my cooking arsenal!
Al

This really looks great!! I enjoy a properly cooked thick pork chop as much as a good steak. My question Al is does the pork need to have an IT of 145 degrees to meet safety guidelines?
mds51

Thank you my friend, with SV no you don't have to hit 145 for pork. If you hold the meat at 131 degrees for 89 minutes, it's as safe as 145 for 4 minutes. There are pasteurization tables that you can refer to. For instance at 165 it only takes 1 second to sterilize the meat.
Al

FYI, Got a nib sv cooker in the classified at a good price if anyone is looking to buy one.

Well they seem to be in demand nowadays, so I hope you can sell it!
Al

Well John, I'm going to take your advice, I picked up a couple more chops today & I'm going to brine them in Pops brine in a vacuum canister for 24 hours Then I'm going to cold smoke them for about 3 hours, vac bag them & refrigerate overnight. Then the next day I'm going to put them in the SV for 10 hours at 131. We'll see how this turns out!

Al

Cool !!
I never SV'd any Pork Chops longer than 3 1/2 hours, but 10 hours sounds Great to me!!:)
And the 3 hours of Smoke would be Great, if I could get away with that.:(

Don't let me miss it, Buddy!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky