Smoke Roasted Pork cushion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I started buying pork cushions at GFS when they were cheaper that pork butts . They come from the area of the picnic on the animal , and make a great ham .
I found a couple in the freezer and thought I would do some roast pork . 185 to 195 is a sliceable temp for this cut .
I mixed up a phosphate injection using vegetable stock , brown sugar , salt and some roasted garlic base .
Pumped the roast full and held overnight in the fridge . It will naturally hold
about 10 % of it's weight .
20220409_154659.jpg

Next morning out of the fridge and rinsed . I tie the middle and season the surface with
Canadian steak seasoning . Then back in the fridge until cook time .
20220410_125846.jpg
Surface dried and tacky to the touch . Ready to go on the
SmokeFire . B&B Comp pellets .
20220410_141821.jpg
I don't look while I'm cooking . So no pics of that .
I always start the SmokeFire at 250 . I let it settle in , then I set it to smoke boost , add the meat
and let it do it's thing . Ran it on boost for 3 hours , then I bump the heat slowly to 260 and let it ride .
I'm looking for at least 185 internal . Anything up to 195 makes a nice slice .
I keep bumping the heat at 30 minute intervals , and when it got close to my target temp I set it to 450 .
That way it will force some carry over . I pulled the roast at 180 degrees internal .
20220410_183513.jpg
That SmokeFire puts some fantastic color of stuff .
20220410_183518.jpg
Got the carry over I was looking for .
20220410_183852.jpg
Rested another 20 minutes . Could have waited a bit longer but we were hungry .
Nice and juicy , great flavor .
20220410_184304.jpg
Texture was spot on too .
20220410_184415.jpg
Green beans , some stove top and some bread with homemade butter .
Didn't need anything else .
Thanks for lookin .
20220410_184833.jpg

Man that looks good, Rich! Haven't seen that cut around here but there is GFS not too far. Time to make a trip and see.

Reactions: chopsaw
Another excellent cook Rich, that's a beautiful plate.

Point for sure
Chris

I'd be all over that plate Rich, looks great!
Thanks Ray . I had planned to spin it , but wanted to fire up the pellet .
Man that looks good, Rich!
Thanks Matt . Appreciate it .
Haven't seen that cut around here but there is GFS not too far.
Gordons started carrying it when butts were hard to get . I guess it sold well enough they kept it .
This is a thread I did . I usually use them for ham and sausage . This shows how they pack and sell them .

Also , look for chuck pectoral . I have threads on that cut too .
Another excellent cook Rich, that's a beautiful plate.
Thanks Chris . That darn pellet grill is gonna spoil me .

Man that looks good Rich. I'd say you nailed it spot on. Looks like the smokefire puts out some fine stuff!
Thanks John .
It really does a fantastic job . Never thought I would own a pellet grill . Works great as a grill too .

That is one fine looking Pork "roast"
Thanks Gary . You could do the same with a deboned pork butt .

Another great cook and meal Rich.
I appreciate that Bill .
I've taken my time learning the SmokeFire . I know what to expect now , and how it likes to run . Been using it as a grill last few weeks , no drip pan . Great results there too .
Thanks again for the comments bud .

Looks excellent Rich. I've never seen that cut around these parts. I wonder if Restaurant Depot has it? Great work, you've got that pellet dialed in perfectly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky