Pork cushion ham update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Got the hams all smoked up yesterday . Got them out and rinsed on Weds. overnight in the fridge to smoke on Thurs.
One night turned into 2 , and smoked Friday morning . Not sure about the 2 night dry in the fridge , but couldn't be helped .
By habit I hung in the smoker to dry . Didn't need that , should have just started smoking . Outside was a bit tough . I week wrapped in plastic in the fridge will fix that .
Here's some pics .
Out of the fridge , rested uncovered for 2 nights .
20210716_082643.jpg
Get out my stash .
20210716_082712.jpg
Number 28 netting
20210716_084506.jpg
Hung in the 30 , dried at 130 for a couple hours by habit .
Didn't need it . Used 50 / 50 mesquite and beech pellets in the 12 " tube
in the mailbox . Bumped temps up to 180 . Pulled at 155 internal .
20210716_193744.jpg
I pull the netting right away . Get it off before the meat starts to tighten up
Resting on the counter . If it was cool enough outside , I would just let them hang over night in the smoker .
20210716_194002.jpg 20210716_194012.jpg
Took on some nice color .
20210716_194043.jpg
Had to have a slice before bed . Still warm , but couldn't wait .
20210716_215242.jpg 20210716_215415.jpg
Not bad . Tough outside like I said . Weird grain direction on that one .
The rest will go in the fridge for a week . Then I'll vac and freeze .
20210716_220214.jpg
After a night in the fridge I had another taste .
This method makes the best ham . People that use it say that all the time .
I went ahead and got the slice out . I don't normally pre-slice , but this won't last long .
20210717_094817.jpg 20210717_094820.jpg
Great texture and fantastic ham flavor . Just wanted to update the results .
Thanks for looking .

Looks Awesome, Rich!!
Boy could I make some Sammies with that stuff!!
Thanks John . It's great ham , and that pork cushion has the texture of a picnic or a ham leg .

Looks like a successful experiment to me! Glad it all worked out
No experiment on the ham . Learned this from Dave awhile back , and was doing one a month a year or so ago . This batch will last me for a couple months .
In the other thread I used this method on a chub of SS . Yeah , that was a first time , and came out great .
Thanks Charlie .

Last edited:
Reactions: kilo charlie
Rich they look fantastic!! That’s a good supply of ham.
Thank you . Jeff , they're good bud . That injection method is hands down the best .

A nice ham&cheese sangie with a good spicy mustard.
Thanks Norm . That's the plan . Made mustard for the first time the other day . Crushed to many seeds . Man it was clear your head up hot . Like horseradish . Love that stuff .

Boy howdy does all that ever look great Rich, I'll be taking my shot at it real soon, Like! I don't think I've seen pork cushion in a display case, wish I could find some. RAY

Reactions: chopsaw
Those look fantastic!
And yes I have the same problem with that ham,,,,,,, it don’t last long at all. Nicely done Sir.

This is above my skill level. Looks like that would be some great tasting ham. Better than store bought I bet.
It's not that hard really , once you get it figured out . I would say it's better than store bought .
Thanks for lookin .

look great Rich,
Thank you sir .

, I'll be taking my shot at it real soon, Like! I don't think I've seen pork cushion in a display case, wish I could find some
You can trim a section out of a butt . I use the biggest whole muscle section .
You can use the whole butt also , but just a lot of interior fat seams .
Let me know when you get ready to do it .

Man that looks good! Like you said...great color! Love me some ham!

Great job!
Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky