Small Smoker - Opposite Sides of the Spectrum - CC Woodwind 20 vs RT Bullseye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slinkyskinked

Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Good morning all and long time lurker about to jump into the pellet game.

So I am in the market to replace my Brinkman electric smoker that was a gift from my sister YEARS ago. While I have successfully cooked beef ribs, brisket, baby backs, etc., it is just a royal PITA for anything longer than 2 to 3 hours.

While money is not an issue, value is. I am the main cook for my family of 3 which is soon to be two in a few years when my daughter goes to college. My wife (Chinese), while enjoying my smoked ribs, is not a big smoke fan whereas my favorites are smoked beef ribs and brisket. I cook a lot of ethnic cuisine but also classic American fare (she loves my burgers).

I lead with all of this as I do not want to drop a lot of money on something that will most likely be used 2, at most 3, times a month.

I am torn between two grills on opposite ends of the spectrum: the Camp Chef Woodwind 20 and the RT Bullseye. There is a $200 price differential (for good reason) and I am heavily leaning towards the RT, but Camp Chef with the wifi, 4 meat probes, larger grilling area (that would most likely go unused), and LCD screen has me very intrigued.

They are both PID controlled but the RT is quite simplistic. The RT has more cooking area than my Brinkman (380 sq in. vs 226 sq. in.) and I've done two racks on the Brinkman, so I know the RT would be an improvement.

The flexibility of the RT is also what is of interest. The grates can be replaced with a griddle, riot mode can really help cooking on the griddle or searing, etc. I would be using it mainly for low and slow smoking though.

Am I missing something though? Should I really be looking at the Camp Chef? My main concern is that the Bullseye seems like a hybrid that does grilling and smoking well, but does not excel in either.

Welcome!

No experience with the RecTec Bullseye nor the Woodwind, but I do have a CampChef Smoke Pro DLX. Went through a couple issues with the controls on mine, but after a software updates to their controls, I have been very pleased. Mine will hold to swings less than 20F unless high winds or very cold temps.

Personally, I like the extra space versus what I see the Bullseye has. Although I too am primarily smoking for a small group (2-4) typically, I can put that large brisket on there without concern. Only space issue I have seen is "head clearance" if I want to do a beer can chicken. Looking at the Woodwind and Bullseye, you would probably have that issue as well. But you may not need that.

I use my Smoke Pro for smoking about 95% of the time. So I am operating in that 225-275F range a lot. Occasionally I crank it up to 350F+ if need to do a quick sear, but I have my Weber propane grill right next to the Camp Chef as primary grill.

As far as smoke, I run an A-Maze-N tube for every smoke. Insures I am getting smoke I want.

Good luck!

Thank you both the your responses. I run BlueTooth meat probes now (Weber iGrill). It was the WiFi controls on the grill that intrqued me. Still looking but getting closer..

Edit: Not WiFi but BlueTooth.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky