Horizontal vs. Vertical Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donkeyshaunjr

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
Hi everyone!

I've been a pellet grill owner for about 6 years. I have no proof but I swear I might have been the first person to buy a Grilla Silverbac in New Jersey. I like my SB, but I'm running into more and more issues with it (It is still all original, controller, I don't even have the shelf). Lately it's been non stop flameouts. This got me thinking it might be time to look for a replacement.

I'm kind of between the CampChef Woodwind and the new Grilla Mammoth. The idea of these smokers interests me since it's a pellet but you can add more smoke with chunks and in the case of the Woodwind charcoal. My only question is about the vert. smoker. Is it dramatically different than a horizontal?

I certainly understandt that every smoker cooks differently I was just curious if the vert is going to be dramatically different.

Also I'm well aware aout RecTeq and a host of other grills/smokers out there but I'm pretty set between these two. Thanks for any advice!

I think the main difference would be the layout. If you want hang sausage or need many racks for jerky or whatever. You can get some extra room in the vertical. If you've had good luck with Grilla, that Mammoth would be hard to pass up IMO.

Have you checked with Grilla regarding flame out issues? Firebox over filling, ashes need vacuumed out?

I think the main difference would be the layout. If you want hang sausage or need many racks for jerky or whatever. You can get some extra room in the vertical. If you've had good luck with Grilla, that Mammoth would be hard to pass up IMO.

Have you checked with Grilla regarding flame out issues? Firebox over filling, ashes need vacuumed out?
That's kind of where I'm at. I've looked at vert smokers and it seems like the Mammoth has a pretty good build quality. It's insulated and has a gasket liner for the door. It also has that elevated lip on the pot so you can put more wood chips in there.

My Silverbac has been through it. It's blown up 2x on me (both my fault) and outside the controller and hopper I've replaced everything over the years. Really I think the current issue is the pellets I'm using (Pit Boss) are just a bad batch. Last time I was stupid and didn't totally vacuum out the hopper. I'm guessing I just need to do it.

I cannot answer your questions about vertical versus horizontal performance.

Given what I know today, I would purchase a vertical over a horizontal in a heartbeat. A vertical is a better fit for my pellet pooper needs. If I want grilled it goes on one of the kettles (18" & 22")
I mostly use my horizontal pellet for smoking meat and a vertical would be much better especially for sausage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky