Small Flat

Discussion in 'Beef' started by nepas, Feb 27, 2012.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My daughter is going to be at my sons in Lake Norman NC this weekend. She asked if i could make a flat for her.

Sure

You got me this new camera so i might as well figure out how to use it.

Sorry if the pics look dark.

Got the flat with a slight trim, rinsed and patted dry.

Applying a good rub down.

[​IMG]

Other side

[​IMG]

Now for a good wrap for overnight.

[​IMG]

Sure not a point and shoot camera.

2. Looking good so far! How's that non point and shoot camera working out?

3. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Looking good so far.... have fun and happy smoking

4. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Well i will stick around for this one.

5. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm still tryin to figure it out  [​IMG]

6. nepas

Giving the flat some Master Forge time.

[​IMG]

I installed a new temp dial. This one is way better than the original cheap on e that dont work.

[​IMG]

7. Have her drop me some off on her way. [​IMG]

8. nepas

I'm taking to NC, she taking it from there to PA

[​IMG]

9. nepas

All done.

[​IMG]

I dont like charred black brisket so mine are different.

Clear wrapped and ready for FTC

[​IMG]

FTC= FOIL

[​IMG]

FTC= TOWEL

[​IMG]

FTC= COOLER-------------->FTC Now shut the top and let the brisky get happy and moist.

[​IMG]

10. Looks perfect! I am working up to doing one soon. The pics are looking pretty darn good

11. That still looks like a big flat to me . . . . .and no harm done, a bigger flat smokes better, I hear.

I was eying up some much smaller flats at Sams Club and decided no.  I still need the crutch of a fat cap on top.  Just don't feel secure enough to do a flat as is.  Someday, maybe I will,  I lack the discipline right now.

Come spring, a different story.  I'll be breaking out the weber and back with charcoal and wood chunks again, watching the temperatures. 

Maybe come spring I'll try a flat early.  Lord knows they aren't expensive.  It's just that I want every animal I cook to taste great.  Maybe I'm being too timid in this.  Don't know since I haven't tried.

12. Well you can drop some off then. [​IMG]Looks great Rick.

13. nepas

Musta been tire cuz fell asleep on the couch...Yikes

Here is the briskit the way my daughter like it. Heading to Lake Norman NC, on Friday morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sprky

sprky Master of the Pit OTBS Member

[​IMG]  and I'll bet it tastes GREAT as well

15. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks delicious Rick!!!

16. Looks juicy and delicious.

17. I've never seen a brisket sliced as beautifully and I'm guessing you sliced after it cooled down some. 

Lake Norman is in for a treat.  I've been out that way many times, but only to repair computers.  For my Austin Texas buddies, Lake Norman is a dam lake just like your damed Lake Travis.  The only difference, Lake Norman is a dam lot better managed. 

18. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Looks great ! Rick:biggrin:

19. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Excellent!

Good luck and good smoking.

20. Man oh Man, nice job and sure making me hungry....