Slicer Opinions/Purchase/Cleaning...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jp61

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 6, 2011
NE Ohio
Would like to buy a slicer in the near future. I've been keeping an eye on craigslist but so far haven't seen any good deals. Nothing on Amazon. Looked at Cabela's commercial slicers also but don't know what to think of them. Anyone here own a Cabela's?  If yes, how do you like it? Also, I know they put them on sale here and there at different prices.... what's the lowest price you've seen them. Any other place to get a deal on a slicer? Thanks.

Last edited:
Me personally I would suggest  spending the money  and getting a descent slicer. I went  the cheaper route and  spent around $100-$150 on one and now I wish I would of coughed up the extra money and got a more commercial grate slicer with  a longer slide. When I want to slice bacon I have to  cut the bellies into smaller pieces because the slide on my slicer is too short for a full piece of belly. That's just my personal preference.

buy the best and only cry once. i bought a used one that came from cabellas about 5 years ago. sliced a lot of jerky meat. i think the blade will be the first to go.

thanks guys!

Looked at a used Hobart 1612 (any idea when these were made?) today but, it was a no go......slicer has seen better days and I'm not looking for a project.

I'll just keep searching, hopefully I'll find something sooner than later. Meanwhile, I'll just have to break in my new dehydrator with some fruit. 

@ ac45- your slicer, is it one of the models Cabela's is selling now or an older one. Not sure how long they've been selling the current models.

Broke down on Monday and got one at Cabelas. The commercial one wth the sharpener for $279 I think it was, don't have any of that info handy at the moment. Anyway, played around with it and the cheaper one in the store for a bit and for only $80 more it was a no brainer. Have only used it once so far to slice some canadian bacon I made last weekend for a pizza ( gotta post those pics yet) so far I like it, quiet, smooth, easy to adjust and clean.

Thanks Joe! I was thinking about taking a look at that one. Any idea where to find out when a model was in production? So far I came up with nothing.
I would go with the commercial slicer

Not sure of the year (90's) maybe... would be able to tell from the id plate, but they were in the 2,000 dollar range new and are really nice slicers. if it were in excellent condition i would give 450... he says its in good condition? I would offer 350 ,,, people here have gotten them for 200. Dont buy till you inspect it well. Looks for rust underneath and that all parts are functional, slides, slide pins, knobs, guards, sharpener is operative(just dont take his word it works... See it work) etc....

Joe

Last edited:
Also turn the unit on  and once it gets to speed look at the blade from the end of the slicer. turn the slicer off and watch the blade as it slows. make sure there is no wobble in the blade.  Run the blade as close as you can to the body of the slicer and turn on again make sure it doesn't hit any where.

Check the power cord any cuts ,nicks or bare spots? easy to replace but good price negotiation item.

I would go with the commercial slicer

Not sure of the year (90's) maybe... would be able to tell from the id plate, but they were in the 2,000 dollar range new and are really nice slicers. if it were in excellent condition i would give 450... he says its in good condition? I would offer 350 ,,, people here have gotten them for 200. Dont buy till you inspect it well. Looks for rust underneath and that all parts are functional, slides, slide pins, knobs, guards, sharpener is operative(just dont take his word it works... See it work) etc....

Joe
Quote:
Also turn the unit on  and once it gets to speed look at the blade from the end of the slicer. turn the slicer off and watch the blade as it slows. make sure there is no wobble in the blade.  Run the blade as close as you can to the body of the slicer and turn on again make sure it doesn't hit any where.

Check the power cord any cuts ,nicks or bare spots? easy to replace but good price negotiation item.
Thanks guys for the great tips on what to look for. Going to check out another slicer after Easter weekend.

Broke down on Monday and got one at Cabelas. The commercial one wth the sharpener for $279 I think it was, don't have any of that info handy at the moment. Anyway, played around with it and the cheaper one in the store for a bit and for only $80 more it was a no brainer. Have only used it once so far to slice some canadian bacon I made last weekend for a pizza ( gotta post those pics yet) so far I like it, quiet, smooth, easy to adjust and clean.
Congrats Ironhorse and good luck with your new toy. I wish there was a Cabela's near to my home so I could look at them in person. Don't really feel like making a 4hr round trip drive just to look.

Awesome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
yahoo.gif
... how about some pics of  it .. would love to see the new toy.... toys are great......................
icon14.gif

Joe

Awesome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
yahoo.gif
... how about some pics of  it .. would love to see the new toy.... toys are great......................
icon14.gif

Joe

I can do that but it's still sitting in my ride. Well.... I am an old jarhead (Marine), let me see if I can wrestle that beast into the house.... lol

Here it is.... needs cleaning, a little basic maintenance and it's ready to go.

The blade is sharp as a razor! I'm happy with it and IMO got a good deal. Sorry for the not so great pics.

719b7f5f_056.jpg
115a2cbb_055.jpg

NICE... I have the cheap Cabelas one and not really happy with it.... Mine has the WHOLE blade in the open... so when you push the meat or cheese threw and slice a piece off, the blade will lift the whole piece of meat or cheese up and turn it over when you slide the table back... so now you have to replace the whole piece on the slide table every time you make a slice... It really is a PITA...

ANYBODY WANT TO BUY A "NICE" SLICER ? LOL

NICE... I have the cheap Cabelas one and not really happy with it.... Mine has the WHOLE blade in the open... so when you push the meat or cheese threw and slice a piece off, the blade will lift the whole piece of meat or cheese up and turn it over when you slide the table back... so now you have to replace the whole piece on the slide table every time you make a slice... It really is a PITA...
ANYBODY WANT TO BUY A "NICE" SLICER ? LOL

Yeah, that does sound like a PITA. Save up a couple hundred dollars, clean up/sell the one you have and buy yourself a good slicer. With my Hungarian temper I think I would've whipped that thing against the wall then beat eat with a ball bat. I was going to buy the bigger Cabela's commercial slicer when it went on sale, but I got lucky and found this one. I'm sure this Globe is a much better slicer for about the same price. Good luck... hope you find something easier to work with.

Nice slicer..................... now its time to get busy with some roast beef or some bacon and put her to some good use..............
icon14.gif

Joe

Thanks Joe. I smell some jerky in my near future then probably some bacon.

uh-oh... wish me luck! So much for my big batch of jerky plans. I decided to clean my new to me slicer and got a bit carried away. The Globe is in as many parts as possible. lol... I hope this wasn't a bad move on my part.

Did a little cleaning.... looooooooong ways to go.

4295532b_lll127.jpg
7c291a6a_lll128.jpg

4255c074_lll131.jpg
dadb40db_lll129.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky