Should I Buy a Pellet Grill?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Asmokeandapancake

Original poster
Feb 27, 2021
I have a propane GOSM cabinet smoker and a 14 year old cast iron Kenmore propane grill that's on its last legs. It owes me nothing.

Thought about getting a pellet grill. I like the idea of them having Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity. I'm worried about the amount of pellets I'll be going through in Nova Scotia winter. My gas smoker can't maintain temps in the cold (going to build an insulated shed for it sometime).

Would really like to get something built to last too. My Kenmore cast iron grill was built well and my mom has a Vermont Castings grill that's also old an of excellent quality.

I've done a ton of googling pellet grills and I'm not sure any are cast. Vermont Castings looks like they make a nice model but it doesn't have WiFi and I still don't think it's cast iron.

This new purchase will be used mainly for grilling rather than smoking. It must have the ability to sear.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Your choice of pellet grills will determine the flexibility you have for sure. I have a Camp Chef Woodwind and it will do the things you want. I have the sear box on mine so I can smoke a steak to about 110 degrees and then the sear box comes to play to finish the steak. The sear box can also be used to grill but is limited in size so you can grill for two very comfortably. I hope I have been of some help.

Just want to say welcome. I'm sorry I can't help much. I don't have a pellet grill nor do I live in the northern climates. But what comes to mind is a Kamato style grill. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.
Again, welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Asmokeandapancake
I also have a CampChef, the 24 inch model.
It's been solid as a rock and I've cooked super low and slow briskets for 24 hours with no problems.
You can expect to taste less smoke flavor than an off-set stick burner but for ease of use and paying less attention to cooking as it runs, they can't be beat.
I ordered the accessory custom fit heat insulating blanket for winter cooking and it takes care of heat loss in the cold.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'd really like to find something cast iron rather than thin gauge steel. I'm talking about the body and not the grills. Does such a thing exist in pellet grills? Vermont Castings grills were almost always cast. I realize they'd be more expensive but I'm willing to pay more for something that will last a decade or so.

Yoder makes thick gauge steel pellet smokers. Not sure you will find one with a cast iron body. Would be a rust nightmare
Thanks! Never heard of Yoder. Will check em out.

Cast iron BBQs last forever without rusting. I think they must have special paint or something. They're the best!

Don’t know of any (at least here in the lower 48) with a cast iron body. Frankly, would think you are better off with stainless construction anyway, and insulating blankets if available or DIY.

Don’t know of any (at least here in the lower 48) with a cast iron body. Frankly, would think you are better off with stainless construction anyway, and insulating blankets if available or DIY.
Appreciate the feedback. I'm only looking for cast because I know from experience how long they last. I'm here for opinions and suggestions so I can certainly be persuaded to look down other avenues.

Thanks! Never heard of Yoder. Will check em out.

Cast iron BBQs last forever without rusting. I think they must have special paint or something. They're the best!
OMG Yoder is way over my budget! I guess I should've mentioned that I want to spend not much more than $1000 CAD tops.

I've done a ton of googling pellet grills and I'm not sure any are cast. Vermont Castings looks like they make a nice model but it doesn't have WiFi and I still don't think it's cast iron.

I believe the barrel ends, and the grates are cast iron. The rest of the body I'm not sure of. They do weigh about 200+ lbs. so it isn't lite. As for Wi-Fi capable. Sorry I'm not positive, but I don't believe it is. These are made in Randolph/Bethel Vt. about 3 hrs from where I live.

Chris

Add The Masterbuilt Gravity Fed Grills in your search.
These are really cool! I'm not sure I can live with the extra time and effort required to light them, though. It's one of those things that's hard to gauge without actually trying it. I think we need something that can be easily ignited where this will replace our everyday grill. Thanks for the tip though!

I believe the barrel ends, and the grates are cast iron. The rest of the body I'm not sure of. They do weigh about 200+ lbs. so it isn't lite. As for Wi-Fi capable. Sorry I'm not positive, but I don't believe it is. These are made in Randolph/Bethel Vt. about 3 hrs from where I live.

Chris
You're right - they're not WiFi.....yet. I reached out to them a couple of weeks ago to see if they planned to incorporate that technology but have yet to get a response.

To my knowledge the only grill maker that does cast iron is Goldens and they are Kamado style. https://www.goldenscastiron.com/ If your primary goal is grilling you shouldn't get a pellet grill anyway. Pellet grills are really nothing but a convection oven and although there are many that have designs to accommodate grilling, they only work so, so. Your best bet for a combination smoker/grilling unit is to go with a Kamado style grill. Good quality Kamado grills, made with ceramic, like a Kamado Joe are a lifetime investment and will never rust out. They are easy to learn to use and very efficient with charcoal. I would save up, to increase your budget and look into Kamado style grills. The biggest thing to look for with a ceramic Kamado is the warranty. You want a lifetime warranty on the ceramics, or it's not worth getting.

To my knowledge the only grill maker that does cast iron is Goldens and they are Kamado style. https://www.goldenscastiron.com/ If your primary goal is grilling you shouldn't get a pellet grill anyway. Pellet grills are really nothing but a convection oven and although there are many that have designs to accommodate grilling, they only work so, so. Your best bet for a combination smoker/grilling unit is to go with a Kamado style grill. Good quality Kamado grills, made with ceramic, like a Kamado Joe are a lifetime investment and will never rust out. They are easy to learn to use and very efficient with charcoal. I would save up, to increase your budget and look into Kamado style grills. The biggest thing to look for with a ceramic Kamado is the warranty. You want a lifetime warranty on the ceramics, or it's not worth getting.
This is very interested feedback. Thank you. I read things about the pellet grills along the lines of what you're saying so it's not a complete surprise to hear that. I'm really gun shy about the charcoal grills especially because my significant other uses it and she's already told me that she doesn't want anything much more complicated than the gas grill we already have.

This is very interested feedback. Thank you. I read things about the pellet grills along the lines of what you're saying so it's not a complete surprise to hear that. I'm really gun shy about the charcoal grills especially because my significant other uses it and she's already told me that she doesn't want anything much more complicated than the gas grill we already have.
Hence the Masterbuilt Gravity Fed. Load the charcoal in the tower. Firestarter stick in the bottom. 3-5 min set temp and relax. Low temp for smoking. Up to 700 deg for grilling. Easy Peezy, lemon squeezy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky