Should I be concerned about oil coating?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ThrowdownAz

Original poster
May 16, 2018
I just bought my first pellet grill (Camp Chef SmokerPro SG) and when I was unpacking the contents of the box and assembling the grill I found some of the bags and the inside bottom of the grill coated with some type of oil that smelled petroleum based. Is this normal? I wiped as much of it away as I can but my concern is firing up the grill and it generating some type of toxic smoke. Has anyone else seen this?

Reactions: SonnyE
Most likely a corrosion inhibitor of some sort. Maybe coolant from a machine tool. I would wash (wipe) it out with a mild detergent- simple green or the like. Then do your break-in cook for a good while without any food in it to season it, then forget about it.

Reactions: ThrowdownAz
CC does this on a lot of their items to make sure it doesnt corrode while in the box. Just wipe off as much as you can and then burn off the rest during your initial break in. My Woodwind was coated in it, but after the break in there wasnt any left.

If I remember correctly, the Owners manual on an "MES" tells you to "break-in" at full heat (275°) for 3 hours, and add chips to make smoke during the last of those 3 hours.

Bear

I just bought my first pellet grill (Camp Chef SmokerPro SG) and when I was unpacking the contents of the box and assembling the grill I found some of the bags and the inside bottom of the grill coated with some type of oil that smelled petroleum based. Is this normal? I wiped as much of it away as I can but my concern is firing up the grill and it generating some type of toxic smoke. Has anyone else seen this?

I just spent a while on Camp Chef's web site, and danged if I could find any manuals, information about breaking in anything, or anything pertinent to yours, or any other of their grills. FRUSTRATING!

So, this is new. Doesn't it have a manual of any sort that has beginning with it???
Specifically, how to break it in. The first time using your new Camp Chef Product...

Like Bear eluded to, Masterbuilt has a 3 hour at 275°, with the last 45 minutes one normal sized load of chips. Not relevant to your unit. But it is the break in procedure for a Masterbuilt.
So it is logical to think there is some beginning procedure to get it ready.

I just spent a while on Camp Chef's web site, and danged if I could find any manuals, information about breaking in anything, or anything pertinent to yours, or any other of their grills. FRUSTRATING!

So, this is new. Doesn't it have a manual of any sort that has beginning with it???
Specifically, how to break it in. The first time using your new Camp Chef Product...

Like Bear eluded to, Masterbuilt has a 3 hour at 275°, with the last 45 minutes one normal sized load of chips. Not relevant to your unit. But it is the break in procedure for a Masterbuilt.
So it is logical to think there is some beginning procedure to get it ready.
Yes, Camp Chef did have a section in the owner's manual for breaking in the grill. Their customer service said that this will remove any residual oil that was put their for corrosion resistance while in the box prior to assembly. I am ready to fire it up and break it in now!

Yes, Camp Chef did have a section in the owner's manual for breaking in the grill. Their customer service said that this will remove any residual oil that was put their for corrosion resistance while in the box prior to assembly. I am ready to fire it up and break it in now!

Yea! I can hardly wait to run something. So as soon as it's together, it gets fired up.
Have a great run, and a great first cook! ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky