Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Short Ribs Braised w/Red Wine

IMG_0030.jpeg

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

beef short ribs (bone-in), 2 pkgs of 4 bones each or as many as you easily fit in the crock pot
1 tablespoon olive oil

Veggies:
2 large carrot, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
6-8 sprigs fresh thyme
4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary

Brazing Liquid:
750 milliliters dry red wine - pinot noir, 1 bottle
1/2 cup beef stock, "Better than Beef Bouillon" 1-large tbs dissolved in water
3 tablespoons tomato paste, dissolve in stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar, dissolve in stock
1.5 tsp salt & pepper

Gravy & Roux:
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup beef bouillon
strained juice from crockpot, defatted
Salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:

1. Chop all the veggies and put in the CrockPot. Lay the rosemary & thyme on top.

2. Pour in 3/4 of the bottle of wine. Dissolve the brown sugar & tomato paste in the beef stock then add to the pot. Stir to combine.

3. Season ribs well with salt &pepper. Add olive oil to a large, heavy skillet on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add the short ribs and sear for 3-4 minutes per side. Don’t crowd the pan, instead do it in two batches.

NOTE: carefully wipe out the remaining oil in the pan, use remaining 1/4 bottle of wine to deglaze the bits & pieces then pour into the CrockPot.

4. Add the short ribs in as even of a layer as possible (some will likely stick out and that's ok). Cook on high for 4 hours then on low for another 4 hours. Test for tenderness. Continue to cook if necessary.

5. Finishing - a smooth rich gravy: Remove ribs to a plate and place in warm oven. Strain all the liquid and then defat. Start with a roux (equal parts flour and butter) stirring for 4-5 minutes over medium-low heat. After the 4 min stir, add the defatted liquid and stir over medium heat to thicken. Stir in Worcestershire & beef broth. Adjust with salt & pepper to taste. There will be plenty of liquid for the gravy, you might not need all of it.

We serve with mashed potatoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: chilerelleno
Sounds good, I would think you could adjust the recipe to work on your smoker.

Chris

Sounds good, I would think you could adjust the recipe to work on your smoker.
Chris
I thought about it but then realized I wanted the goodness of the bone marrow and rendered fat to enhance the flavor of the gravy, so the crockpot seemed best.

I thought about it but then realized I wanted the goodness of the bone marrow and rendered fat to enhance the flavor of the gravy, so the crockpot seemed best.
Give the ribs 1.5-2 hours of smoke then slow braise in a foiled pan or Dutch oven in the smoker.
We can have the best of both methods.
Have our cake and eat it too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky