Sheep casing nautural

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by arldon, Feb 15, 2016.

1. arldon

arldon Newbie

I have been buying the small packs of sheep casing for weiners.  However sometimes they are too small.  Does anyone out there know where I can buy the 22 to 24mm casings with out spending $50  or $60 bucks.

2. one eyed jack

one eyed jack Master of the Pit

3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I will move this to sausage

4. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I just looked at Butcher Packer, Walton's, and Syracuse Casing. With shipping $50 is about the going rate. The Sausage Maker has them for $45 with free shipping. If you don't mind waiting 7-10 days

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I've been getting mine at the sausage maker, and it's true the shipping is slow, but the quality is good.

Al

6. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

IMHO Its better to spend the bucks on quality casings rather than wasting money on the home packs...... A hank should last you a long time.... Shelf life is 2 years....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159729/how-to-handle-natural-casings

7. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I just got a new hank of sheep. I just used the first of them and was surprized by two things. This hank is more "tender" than the last few I have bought, (Butchers & Packers). They are also slightly larger more on the lines of frankfurters than breakfast sausages. I was thinking about it the other day, how tender and large and the light came on above my head.

I had rinsed and then left them in H20 in the reefer for almost a week. Seriously I think they were softened to the max. Go a head and laugh, BUT I had 2 whole trays of veal sausages I made,they fell and hit the floor.

That is all that was left. They blew up, the casings were just too soft. My fault totally, they set and softened too long. I had sausage mush all over the place. It caused me to loose my temper and say bad words too! LOL

Lesson learned.

Other than my own stupidity I have not had a problem with B&P. Although I think of the pre-loaded from Sausage Maker everytime I start trying to start the sheep casing on the stuffing tube. LOL

Remember you usually get what you pay for in life. 

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  8. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

9. unclejhim

unclejhim Smoke Blower

I just bought some from      Overseas Casing Co. they are in Seattle.

I bought them on Amazon although the Co. does have a web site that you can order from. Just got them today so it's gonna be a while before I can try them.

Update. Don't waste your money on these casings. They were full of hole and tears, I ended  up throwing away most all of the entire hank.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  10. arldon

arldon Newbie

Thanks, will tryitout

11. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ethnic sausages in international casings. Do we need to check the compatibility before using? Make sure they with work together?