Selling Smoked Meats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bryan moorhead

Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Hartwell, GA.
I feel a little stupid being that I listened to a local guy tell me that it was no big deal to sell Butts and briskets and such from my home.  I should have asked the health department instead.  So, I am told that I have to have a separate building with commercial fridge, stainless sinks (3) for wash, rinse, and sanitize.  Stainless prep area and the list goes on.  

Do you guys that sell smoked meats have this in place?  I am sure it is different from town to town or state to state.  I am just trying to figure out if there are other options.

Thanks for any input you all may have.

I feel a little stupid being that I listened to a local guy tell me that it was no big deal to sell Butts and briskets and such from my home.  I should have asked the health department instead.  So, I am told that I have to have a separate building with commercial fridge, stainless sinks (3) for wash, rinse, and sanitize.  Stainless prep area and the list goes on.  

Do you guys that sell smoked meats have this in place?  I am sure it is different from town to town or state to state.  I am just trying to figure out if there are other options.

Thanks for any input you all may have.
Bryan, you answered both of your questions already. 1st. Call your local health department to find out EXACTLY what you need to get this done. 2nd. The rules for cooking food and selling to the final customer are indeed different from state to state and even county to county....so call your local health dept.

A couple notes from when I was looking into it. You'll need at least 1 million in General Liability business insurance, the food will need to be cooked and stored in an inspected facility (whether it's your own or a co-op type kitchen doesn't matter), and you'll need local business licenses provided to you AFTER the dept reviews your menu and cooking space.

Last edited:
Yep,  Health Dept. regulations where ever you live.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky