Self build Brick built smoker/barbecue grill/pizza oven UK based

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DanY92

Original poster
Sep 13, 2020
Hi guys, i am new to the forum but have been following various threads looking for advice on a build i am doing of my own.

i am building a 34 inch domed pizza oven, as well as a barbecue/asado grill and lastly a smoker

by trade i am a carpenter, and by no means a brick layer so go easy on me! :emoji_laughing:

I have found this forum very useful in order to find enough information in order to come up with most of the build, however i know that during the process there will probably be various things i may need advice on so i figured i may as well jus start my own thread and see what you guys think. Luckily i have already built a roof over the kitchen/bar area so if the project should take a while i should be protected from the elements. Side note; i am also converting two bungalows on the property into two semi detached 2 storey houses so this may be a bit of a slow project, we will see.

Also, i have to say a big thank you to Wes, and his thread: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/brick-smoker-compete-how-to.126307

I have attached 2 images to show where i am currently at. I have started setting out with the first course of blocks/bricks. the pizza oven base has 2 openings in order for me to be able to easily reach the logs from both sides.

Also, the concrete bases are between 18 and 24 inches deep reinforced with steel mesh, so I'm fairly sure they should be adequate!

Attachments

• IMG_4873.jpg
    IMG_4873.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4847.jpg
    IMG_4847.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 89
Reactions: kruizer
So firstly, what does everyone think about second hand fire bricks? i have found a supplier who has 1500 used firebricks within an hour of my location at a fairly good rate.

I'm happy to go brand new, but i like the idea of recycling. the block work for the rendered bar surround is actually recycled from an existing garage that was on the property.

And secondly. the kitchen area backs onto a wooden framed barn/shed that i have recently built. currently the building is covered in tyvek before cladding. I have decided to put a 100mm cavity between the rear of the block work for the smoker/grill area which i will fill with insulation. would this be sufficient protection from the heat with the dry plywood, or should i also include another layer of protection, something like an 8x4 cement board

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky