Second time making moose jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coyote Jack

Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
As the title says this was my second attempt at making moose jerky. The first batch I did turned out so good I couldn't wait to make more. First batch was made from a rump roast and I sliced it with an electric slicer 3/16 of an inch thick and the consistency was great. For seasoning I tried one of the off the shelf packets. I made 3 lbs and it didn't last long at the camp.

This time I used a cross rib roast and after deboning I sliced it as close to 3/16 as I could with a very sharp knife. Used the same seasoning as the first time and smoked it at 200 degrees for an hour and 45 minutes. My initial 2 lbs 15 oz of meat turned into 1 lb 10 oz of tender, tasty and not dried out moose jerky. It is so good the wife even likes it and that is the ultimate test. I can see lots of jerky in my future although a pork belly is next in line to be smoked. I just started smoking meats as my wife gave me the smoker for Christmas, but I really like it. Much better than store bought. The photos are when it was ready to start smoking and the finished product. I bagged it up in Ziplocs as it won't last long.

Jack

Attachments

• JERKY002.JPG
    JERKY002.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 63
  • JERKY004.JPG
    JERKY004.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 61
I’m insanely jealous of anyone who can get moose. It is my favorite meat. That is some fine looking jerky you’ve got there.
I'm one of the lucky few around here that gets to go moose hunting most every year. It sure helps to be able to speak fluent moose. lol

Jack

Yep, that wouldn't last long around here.
ND has a once in a lifetime seperate draw for moose, elk, and big horn sheep tags. Have been applying for 40 yrs, no such luck.

If it takes learning another language I’ll spring for the Rosetta Stone. 😆
I don't think you will find how to speak moose on any dvd's or anything like that. I learned from listening to and watching real moose. Most people that I take say they have never heard anybody call a moose the way I do. I say that is because most people learn from tapes or listening to other people trying to call. I will say though that if the bulls are really in the mood they will come to just about anything.

Jack

Reactions: SKade
I don't think you will find how to speak moose on any dvd's or anything like that. I learned from listening to and watching real moose. Most people that I take say they have never heard anybody call a moose the way I do. I say that is because most people learn from tapes or listening to other people trying to call. I will say though that if the bulls are really in the mood they will come to just about anything.

Jack
That’s great that you can get out there and be around them enough to speak their language. I am always in aw when I see one. Just the size of them. Of course it’s probably like squirrel or deer around here. You get so used to them just being around. If I make it up to Maine any time soon maybe I’ll sneak across and get some lessons.

Reactions: Coyote Jack
That looks good
man, when I first read your post title I thought it said making 'mouse' jerky, I was like, eewww then my eyes focused better and read moose lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky