Scarbelly Wings and Thanks to Everyone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Recently, I was asked a question on Country Style Ribs on social media. I answered it and was asked how I learned what I knew. I was kind of taken aback. I have learned so much from so many people on this forum that I found it was hard to answer that question. I referred them to the forums but started thinking about how much I have learned here.

When I first came to this site, I had been less than successful in using my new smoker. I came here and learned step by step instructions for pulled pork from Bearcarver. SeenRed taught me about sauces. Dave Omak solved my problems with brines. Pops gave me the basis for my favourite breakfast sausage. Nepas schooled me on homemade sausage. Foamheart inspired me with creativity and Louisiana flare. BDSkelly encouraged me to try new things. DirtSailor helped me build a smoker. Cmana taught me about smoking fish. I met new friends like Gary Hibbert. Moderators like SmokinAl and cfarmer shared their expertise and kept the forum friendly.

I have missed many people who helped me get to a point where I enjoy smoking. To all of you, I say many thanks and I aspire to reach your skill levels.

In honour of this revelation, I decided to make my favourite smoked wings, Scarbelly Wings. These wings were created in a post by S2K9K in honour of a great smoking member who passed on. You can see the original post at http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/119306/scarbelly-wings-buffalo-style.

I can think of no greater example of how we stand on the shoulders of those who taught us. A recipe honouring a great smoker by a great smoker that helped me learn.

I have tweaked the recipe to my tastes and this is how I make it.

I started with 15 wing segments. In this case, She Who Must Be Obeyed had picked up some drumettes.

Then I mixed 50 ml (1/4 cup) of Cajun Injector Creole Butter and 50 ml (1/4 cup) of Frank's Red Hot Sauce.

Scarbelly 2.jpg

I injected the mixture into each drumette.

Scarbelly 1.jpg

I poured the remaining mixture over the chicken and let it sit in the fridge for an hour.

Scarbelly 3.jpg

I sprinkled them liberally with my home made Creole seasoning.

Scarbelly 4.jpg

I put the wings in my smoker which was heated to 350 F.

Scarbelly 5.jpg

I smoked for 15 minutes and then turned them.

Scarbelly 6.jpg

I smoked for another 25 minutes and made sure the internal temperature was over 165 F. I let them sit for a few minutes and served. Here is the finished product.

Scarbelly 7.jpg

The Verdict
These really are my favourite wings. They have the taste of Buffalo Wings without burning your mouth out. The Creole seasonings give it a more complex flavour than regular Buffalo Wings. The smoke at 350 F gives the skin a great texture. I love these.

Hopefully, I will reach the level of all those who have helped me!

Disco

Last edited:
Well said Disco,

I as well have learned a great deal from the gracious, friendly, and knowledgeable members here on the sight (you included). How do you thank Jeff and all those who share their knowledge of smoking/grilling so readily and graciously, but to just say. . . . Thanks a million guys and gals! You're the greatest!

Oh, nice looking wings by the way!

Sincerely,

John Koutsavlis

Last edited:
Great tribute to Gary, he sure is missed around here!
And your version of his wings look delicious!
Also a big thank-you to you, who have added a lot to the forum with some great threads & helpful advice!!
Al

Reactions: ksblazer and disco
Disco Excellent you are a big contributor on here,love reading your post
Richie

Disco , those wings look fantastic . I agree also , very well said . I think about it all the time . Learned so much here .
Richie is right on , don't sell your self short .

Yup for sure a lot of great info can be found on here with the great leaders as you mention and as said including yourself.
Good job on pointing this out as I have said what a great sight to find you BBQ questions and answers to them.

Warren

Well said Disco,

I as well have learned a great deal from the gracious, friendly, and knowledgeable members here on the sight (you included). How do you thank Jeff and all those who share their knowledge of smoking/grilling so readily and graciously, but to just say. . . . Thanks a million guys and gals! You're the greatest!

Oh, nice looking wings by the way!

Sincerely,

John Koutsavlis
Thanks for the kind words, John!

Great tribute to Gary, he sure is missed around here!
And your version of his wings look delicious!
Also a big thank-you to you, who have added a lot to the forum with some great threads & helpful advice!!
Al
It would never happen without you mods!

Disco Excellent you are a big contributor on here,love reading your post
Richie
Thanks, Richie. Dang, you were one of the guys I missed thanking! Let me say now how much I have enjoyed your projects!

Disco , those wings look fantastic . I agree also , very well said . I think about it all the time . Learned so much here .
Richie is right on , don't sell your self short .
Thanks. I do love a good wing.

Yup for sure a lot of great info can be found on here with the great leaders as you mention and as said including yourself.
Good job on pointing this out as I have said what a great sight to find you BBQ questions and answers to them.

Warren
Truth. Cheers to SMF!

And without our good friend Disco, the Queens English would be lost.... If you had only convinced our government to convert to the metric system, all would be good.... Har !!!

And without our good friend Disco, the Queens English would be lost.... If you had only convinced our government to convert to the metric system, all would be good.... Har !!!
I know. You guys need to join the measurement system of the rest of the world. As for the Queen's English, you think I would have got an invite to the wedding!

Thanks for all your help, Dave.

Reactions: daveomak
WTG Disco! You are right, making those wings was a nice tribute to the great people here who LOVE to share and help others. That is the ONLY way I make wings.....simply the best!!
Hats off to you!! :)

WTG Disco! You are right, making those wings was a nice tribute to the great people here who LOVE to share and help others. That is the ONLY way I make wings.....simply the best!!
Hats off to you!! :)
Thanks. It is one of the best recipes I got from the site!

Look great Disco.

I did up a batch of Scarbelly wings for a football party and they were a big hit. People still mention about how much they enjoy them.

The people that have been mentioned are all an asset to this forum. I have enjoyed there generosity of sharing their BBQ knowledge with us. When asked where I learned to make such good BBQ. I always mention this forum as a source.

Would also like to give thanks to Chef JimmyJ for sharing his BBQ recipes. They have gotten me some nice compliments and introduced my tastes buds to some amazing flavors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky