Saturday's Butt - Sundays Enchiladas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
Friday I picked up a 9.4 pound porkbutt, injected it with straight apple juice , and coated it with mustard and Chile's Basic Pork rub, in the fridge till the morning. Up at 2am I pre-heated the Pro 100 to 180º and put the butt in with a pan of hickory chips, went back to bed for a couple of hours. At 4.30 I fired up the SQ36 offset with a few coals and some hickory splits, before the birds were singing. Got the smoker dialed into to 275º and transferred the butt to the offset, the plan was to go naked all the way with no spritzing, lifting the door just costs too much time. Was a beautiful morning when the sun came up, a great day to tend the fires.
DSCN1752.JPG
DSCN1754.JPG

I made it to about noon when curiosity took over, figured I give the butt a spritz
DSCN1755.JPG

Checked it at 195º, just a little way to go
DSCN1756.JPG

Pulled at 203º, toothpick tender, wrapped in foil and toweled in the cooler. Time for Balviene Doublewood
DSCN1757.JPG

One drink led to another and then it was time to unwrap the package

DSCN1758.JPG

After searching the entire house twice for the bear claws I got for Xmas we gave up, pulled the shoulder bone
DSCN1759.JPG

Pulled the meat with a pair of forks, added the saved renderings and a cup of chef chef jimmy's finishing sauce
DSCN1762.JPG

Sliced one of my homemade buns and piled on some PP and SBR
DSCN1764.JPG

Had some homemade slaw for a side, figured it'd go better on my sanny
DSCN1766.JPG

Drilled that wich with a Rolling Rock and was one happy fellow! Yesterday not wanting to get into a rut, I mixed up some of the PP with diced chilis, onions, spicy salsa, and some Mexican cheese, rolled up some flour torts and into a baking dish. Covered the enchiladas with green sauce and more cheese, into a 325º oven for a hour.
DSCN1768.JPG

Got one onto a plate nicely with some sour cream on the side, second one wasn't so neat, but tasted great
DSCN1769.JPG

Today I'll bag up the rest of the PP for the freezer, mix up a couple of bags with some SBR for my 94 year-old FIL, he loves the stuff. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Thanks for lookin' in! RAY

Looks like some good eats right there Ray.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ray....a man after my own heart :emoji_laughing: We love PP and we love Mexican food. Every time I smoke pork we eat it pretty much like you did then make enchiladas the next day. It's about the best combination of two different types of cuisine you could ever ask for!!

Robert

Hell yeah Ray looks great! When we were talking about this butt last week it inspired me and I did one overnight this past Saturday. PP sammies last night and thinking some form of enchiladas or tacos with whatever is left tonight! Well done all around my friend! I picked up some RR's over the weekend too.

VERY nice, Ray! Hey you can't have a pulled pork sandwich without cole slaw.
Those up and down hours overnight would wear me out, though!
I'm too lazy to make enchiladas and the Mrs doesn't care for them (although I love them and yours look great. She doesn't like a lot of things. It's a cross I bear..), so I just save the leftover pp for another time...
Big Like!
Dan

Looks like some good eats right there Ray. Point for sure Chris

My Vortex hit town yesterday, should be more good eats starting out with learning how to do chicken wings, I can't remember ever cooking any wings, anyway. Thanks for the Like Chris, much appreciated. RAY

mucho bueno. nice clean pull. i will take 3 please

Gracias por las amables palabras mi amigo! RAY

Looks like some good stuff there Ray

Thanks Jim, and thanks for the Like, I appreciate it. RAY

Ray....a man after my own heart :emoji_laughing: We love PP and we love Mexican food. Every time I smoke pork we eat it pretty much like you did then make enchiladas the next day. It's about the best combination of two different types of cuisine you could ever ask for!! Robert

I could only dream about having a fraction of your culinary creativity Robert, I find so many of your cooks astounding. Thank you for the Like my friend, I truly appreciate it. RAY

Looks great! I need that homemade bun receipe

Here it is, about the only change is the amount of time the dough mixes in the KA has gone from ten minutes down to around five. Also the use of AP flour might lend to a less dense texture. RAY

Reactions: tander28
Love it! I like the sami followed with enchiladas! well done all around!

Thanks Sandy, I was pretty darned happy with last nights leftovers too! Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY
DSCN1770.JPG

Hell yeah Ray looks great! When we were talking about this butt last week it inspired me and I did one overnight this past Saturday. PP sammies last night and thinking some form of enchiladas or tacos with whatever is left tonight! Well done all around my friend! I picked up some RR's over the weekend too.

Go for it John! Spending a long hot day in the backyard smoking a butt on the SQ36 and drilling a few RR's while jumping into the pool with Bob is about as much fun as I can have, lockdown or not. Thanks for the Like too John, I do appreciate it. RAY

Nice job ray. Looks great

Thanks Jake, tasted every bit as good as it looks! RAY

Nice work Ray. Love enchiladas .

I love the bang I get for my buck too Rich, $9 for about ten dinners and being able to send some PP over to my 94 year-old FIL makes us all real happy, especially my wife, and she doesn't even eat the stuff. Thank you for the Like too Rich, much apprciated. RAY

$9 for about ten dinners and being able to send some PP over to my 94 year-old FIL makes us all real happy

Your damn right! Just did a 9 lb butt over the weekend. Gave a lot to my elderly in-laws and getting a ton of meals out of it. Hard to beat! More money for beer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky