Saturday Smoked Sirloin Roast (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
After spending hours on Friday building a couple of pizzas I wasn't inclined Saturday to spend a ton of time prepping dinner. Wanted something simple, basic, and to the point but it kinda needed to be good at the same time. I'd just gotten a huge order of top sirloin roasts and was breaking down the last two of them when the decision was made to smoke a couple. One would be for dinner that evening and the other would be shaved for roast beef.

The roasts. Both right in the 2 pound range. Rubbed with Worcestershire sauce, a light sprinkle of kosher salt, and a heavy shot of black pepper
027.jpg

Onto the smoker about 2:30 in the afternoon. Running 245 degrees with cherry wood. Will drop the smoker temp to 200 at 3:15 or so. Y'all know the drill by now :emoji_wink:
028.jpg

Hard to tell in the afternoon glare but got some nice TBS going
029.jpg

Pool and margaritas taking up a lot of time so not a whole lot of pics. Roasts all done and in the house. These took about 2 1/2 hours, a tad longer than anticipated.
030.jpg

Slice the one with the tapered end. There was a method to my madness.
031.jpg

032.jpg

Dinner plated. Add a basic salad, some Texas toast, and mushrooms in a beef and bourbon gravy.
033.jpg

So simple yet so good. We really enjoyed this dinner and what was nice, it didn't take a bunch of time to do. The "method to my madness" was inserting the temp probe in the large end of the roast. Cooked that end to my liking and the smaller end was more to Tracy's liking. It worked out well. She will eat it nice and red but refers it a bit more cooked than I like mine. All in all, a really good meal. Great beefy flavor in the meat. The sirloins have a nice grainy texture that is different than higher end cuts, but not in a bad way. Tenderness was perfect: no knife needed to slice it. Flavor was a very nice balance of the seasonings and light, slightly sweet smoke from the cherry wood. Good balance all around for a meal that was basically an afterthought.

Sunday after our chores, I sliced the remainder of the roast from yesterday and the other one for some yummy roast beef.
035.jpg

Saturday I also sliced 5 pounds of the roast and got it into the cure and marinade for beef jerky. That went on the dehydrator Sunday morning. Back to making a lot of this stuff. Man, it is oh so good....to the point of being addictive.
034.jpg

I've about worn out the sirloins on this thread :emoji_laughing: At the price point I get these for, they are an amazing value. Very good meat with a ton of versatility, and won't break the bank.

Well, gonna call this one done. Y'all take care and keep those fantastic posts coming!!

Robert

You make even the simplest meals look stunning! (OK not the simplest meal to pull off like you do). I would gobble a huge plate of that with the margaritas any time.

All looks fantastic Robert!! I would devour some of that juicy sirloin and dude the jerky made me want to lick the screen. I will have to make more soon.

Bring on the rye bread, swiss, and creamy horse radish sauce for the good looking roast beef!
Jim

Looks delicious as always Robert! Love that mushroom gravy on the sirloin as well! I could make that jerky disappear in a heart beat!

Ryan

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Oh man that looks incredible! Going to have to do that soon! I’m with Ryan on the Jerky too!

Very nice again Robert.
I'm with Ryan also the gravy looks stunning....and the jerky awesome

Glad you can spend some time floating and sipping
( Pool and margaritas taking up a lot of time )

David

Looks great Robert. A+ on the cook and presentation.

Point for sure
Chris

Fantastic looking meal there Robert, the plated shot with the mushroom gravy is drool-worthy! I bet the roast beef sandwich was spectacular and the jerky looks off the hook! I already made two big batches this past month, and I’m already wanting more!! Your batch will go fast unless it’s already gone.

Great looking roasts!
Thank you Jason. they both came out really well. When I broke down the large roasts into smaller ones (as well as steaks) I tried to keep them as close to the same size as possible so they'd cook in the same amount of time.

Robert

Reactions: millerbuilds
You make even the simplest meals look stunning! (OK not the simplest meal to pull off like you do). I would gobble a huge plate of that with the margaritas any time.
Thanks so much Cliff. As everybody knows, you eat with your eyes first so I try yo make a meal look appealing. Also, we all know it doesn't have to be fancy to be good...or visually appealing.

Robert

All looks fantastic Robert!! I would devour some of that juicy sirloin and dude the jerky made me want to lick the screen. I will have to make more soon.
Very much appreciate it my friend. To be honest, you and your jerky run a couple weeks ago is what got me motivated to get going with it again.

Robert

Nice cook, and what a perfect plate. Pretty clever probe placement too.

Id probably eat that jerky until I had a belly ache.
Thank you very much. Although not expecting anything really nice, this one surprised me and looked decent. As for the jerky, I eat till my teeth are so crammed full of the stuff they can't hold any more. Then I floss and start over :emoji_wink: No doubt, it can be addictive.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky