Salmon rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gwest77

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Cartersville,Georgia
Hello everyone,

I'm kind of new to smoking meat etc. My grandfather used to smoke his own pork hams and bacon when I was knee high to a grasshopper but I didn't pay attention then. I'm looking for a good rub to put on salmon and let it sit how ever long need be to be able to smoke it at a low temp for a few hours. Like I said I'm new to slow smoking meat but not at the grill. I'd be grateful for some good ideas from all of you fine folks here at this forum.

gwest, morning and welcome to the forum....  Salmon has a delicate flavor and IMHO too much seasoning takes away from the fish....  Personally, I would make a salt brine and add cure# 1, garlic, onion, sugar and white pepper....  remove from the brine, rinse, dry and set in front of a fan for several hours until the pellicle forms really well....   Then smoke at 120 deg for a few hours and raise the temp to 160 until the IT of the fish is 140 ish....   Dave

There is a show on cable TV called "Yukon Men". The show is about a few self sufficient families in Alaska. Several  times during the show they film a smoking shed filled with long shiny halves of smoked salmon. I wonder how they process their fish for season long storage. The program also shows how they catch salmon in giant scoops that look like the paddle wheels on the old river boats.

I share your appreciation for the TV show, and the salmon.  About 30 years ago my ex-father in law, who lived in Fort Yukon, AK, came to visit and brought some native-smoked salmon.  It was OUTSTANDING, and I will venture that it would beat, anything produced in the "lower 48".  All I know is that it was caught, racked, then slow smoked with native alder.  I have no idea if it was brined first, or just hung "natural".

I have made many attempts to duplicate this treasure, and have made some good salmon, but haven't even approached "the prize".

Regards,

Adk boy

gwest, morning and welcome to the forum....  Salmon has a delicate flavor and IMHO too much seasoning takes away from the fish....  Personally, I would make a salt brine and add cure# 1, garlic, onion, sugar and white pepper....  remove from the brine, rinse, dry and set in front of a fan for several hours until the pellicle forms really well....   Then smoke at 120 deg for a few hours and raise the temp to 160 until the IT of the fish is 140 ish....   Dave
Dave, I know this is an old thread.  Just looking for ideas.   How is white pepper different from black pepper?   How much garlic, onion white pepper do you add?    I usually brine with 1/2 gal. water 1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar.   I like your added spices of garlic and onion.

Thanks

Dave, I know this is an old thread.  Just looking for ideas.   How is white pepper different from black pepper?   How much garlic, onion white pepper do you add?    I usually brine with 1/2 gal. water 1/4 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar.   I like your added spices of garlic and onion.
Thanks
 garlic and onion..... probably a pinch or two... same with the white pepper.....  I would add them after removal from the brine directly to the fish... before the pellicle is formed....  Light enough on the spices you can't really see it on the fish I guess is a fair way to describe the way I do it..... You don't really want to taste it, just that you know something is there....    That make sense??  Dave

Yes it does.   Thanks for the help.   The first one i did was awesome.  A friend of mine ask why I didn't season it.   I personally like to taste what I'm eating.  I like good flavor.   I don't like hot spicy because my if my mouth is on fire I can't taste the meat.  :-)

I will try this.  Sounds like it will compliment the fish.

Thank You Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky