Salmon Lox - To use pink salt or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hfactor

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Ventura, Taxifornia
So what is the determination on the use of pink salt or not?  I've done a few batches without the pink, and it came out just fine.  But I've wondered what potential problems I might have if I let the salmon sit in the refrigerator for more than a week without curing of the pink salt compounds.  I usually place salmon in a mixture of two cups of sea salt, and two cups of brown sugar.  I let that sit in the refrigerator for 12 to 16 hours, then I rinse the salmon.  Then air dry it for 24 hours and smoke for 6 hours.  Vacuum seal, and into the refrigerator for a few days to mellow....

All of the lox recipes that I have used don't have cure (pink salt, Mortons, etc) in them. I wouldn't let it sit for days in a fridge after smoking. We eat it pretty fast, or it gets vac-packed and into the freezer.

hfactor, morning.....  Great question.....  I learned about cure when I joined this forum....  I probably smoked several thousand pounds of fish before I joined....  Now that I have become educated in food safety from this place, cure #1 is in use at this household.....  

If you have any meat in a smoker, and you are smoking the finished product for a "length" of time under 140 deg F internal temp, there is the possibility of botulism growing....   Salt does not kill botulism... Smoking meats reduces the oxygen in the smoker.... reduced oxygen and temps between 40-140 deg F is the perfect environment for botulism to grow.... 

Below is a link describing botulism cases  in the US over the last several years.....   It's not just meats that can be infected....  It's a good read to help anyone understand where you can get it....  what to do to prevent it....  Nitrite is a known preventative for botulism....  Be safe.... 

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/10/9/03-0745_article.htm

Curing involves adding a number of ingredients – including salt, sodium nitrite and sometimes sugars, seasonings, phosphates and ascorbates (which includes vitamin C) – to meats, poultry and fish. The curing process controls the growth of harmful bacteria that can cause serious illnesses and improves the safety of food. It especially protects against Clostridium botulinum, a deadly microorganism that can cause one of the deadliest food-borne diseases: botulism. Since the routine use of sodium nitrite by meat processors, no cases of botulism have been associated with cured meats.http://medinforms.com/2-1-fitnessandnutrition/study50.php

Considering the cost of hospitalization, and the cost of a few grams of Cure #1, I'd go with cure #1.....      Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for your input!!  I purchased some #1 on eBay and intent to use it for future salmon smokes.... now should I be concerned cold smoking cheese?

I've done a lot of cheese in 60/65 degree temps range with no problems.... I usually smoke it for 4 to 5 hours...actually smoked cheese is the best....

Thanks Dave for your input!!  I purchased some #1 on eBay and intent to use it for future salmon smokes.... now should I be concerned cold smoking cheese?
I did a lot of searching....  Considering the topic, I think Chef JimmyJ is the person to talk to....      He's the food safety guy on the forum....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky