S. Louisiana Gathering UPDATE:

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't mind making up a pork sausage prior to the gathering and then just putting it in my offset Friday afternoon if Rick doesn't have his Lang going yet.  I have the collagen casings, grinder and stuffer ready to go.  The main meal will be Gumbo so we shouldn't need to much.  I am also going to start curing a couple of pork bellies maybe 10 days before to put in the smokehouse for Saturday and Sunday breakfast.  I have never cured bacon with Steen's cane syrup but one of the bellies may get a taste of it.  I'm hoping to get the bellies and sausage started and then hand off the tending duties to a volunteer.  I'll have a third belly ready to be cut up to go in the Lard for cracklins if Bayou has trouble finding them.    Once the smokehouse gets smoking I'll probably cut up some block cheddar and mozzarella to get a taste of that pecan wood.  The cheese would be great to snack on and in the dinner salad.

I'll be at the farm the week prior to the gathering cleaning house cutting grass, gathering firewood, putting up screen tents, etc so if you can get ice, the veg's and bread for the poboys that would be a great help.   I can get the non-perishables the week before but I may ask Liz to stop at Sams for the milk, salad lettuce etc.

Anyone want to make a BBQ sauce for Friday night's poboys?  We can throw it together Friday afternoon.  I have a couple of jars of blackberry juice I put up this spring that may find it's way into the sauce.

Eman, are you still a little dry around the gills?  I'd hate to be the only one sipping on this bottle of JW Black.

Eman,  I have a length of 10/3 w ground if we can use that to run two trailers.  If not I have a couple of lengths of 10/2 w ground that should be long enough.  I'll pick up the receptacles and circuit breakers this week.

It got pretty hot up there this afternoon but the mornings have been georgeous.  Cool and breezy.  The sun is moving to the south so I suggest we give the tenters the option of setting up north of the driveway/treeline. That area doesn't get sunny until almost 10 am this time of year.

Later Gators,

Cool

I have mandas sauge for the gumbo i just didnt know about the poboys . i'll just pick up 1 more box so you don't have to have sausage ready for friday .

I'll get the buns and all the stuff for the gumbo .

i'll plan on wiring the trailer hookups first thing when we get there fri.

BTW.  I'm bringing a nice 7- 8 lb  boneless rib roast for the smoker on saturday.

Figure some prime rib would hit the spot.

Manda's is good stuff.  Prime Rib huh?  Can't wait to try a piece of that.  

What materials do you want me to pick up for the trailer connections.  Remember Square D panel.

Just a note to everyone that the nearest grocery is a good 20 minutes away so try and either bring what you need or let us know so that I can have it picked up.   I'll pm the list of perishables and non perishables so you can either check off as already having or need us to pickup.  The new Dollar General just opened up in Pine.  I really am in the sticks on this one guys.  They should have soft drinks, chips etc.  I'll try and stop by and see if they have ice.

Al

Sandy and I plan on working 1/2 day if possible friday and coming in that afternoon.  She will have her cin roll dough made in advance and will need refridgerator space for it.  I will have the sausage meat for breakfast and that nights basic sausage making tutorial ready to grind when I get there and set up.  I will be bringing the butts and briskets for Sat. supper and some homemade Q sauce pre made.  About 64 onces or so of my sweet and sassy sauce.  The seasoning for the meats and sausage I have covered.

Rick

I have a 120 qt ice chest that i can fill up w/ bags of ice on the way down. plus i have another 120 qt that will have the meat and seafood in it that will be full of ice. I know stove space is limited so i thought i'd bring my electric skillet to help w/ the breakfast cooking.

Chet,

Sorry to hear about the change in schedule.  Don't forget it's a pretty motorcycle ride to the farm from BR and if you want to ride up either before or after work we look forward to seeing you.  We will be watching the Saints game Sunday afternoon and probably be hanging around through at least Monday.  I'm sure we will have a spare couch or two if you decide to spend the night without going through the hassle of a tent.

Everybody

I'll pickup a spare belly for the cracklins.   I'm thinking that the ABTs should be something to do with local food,  maybe Lake Pontchartrain claw meat and shrimp. 

I had a couple ask about driving up with their two boys to spend the day with us Saturday.  We will have a Frisbee golf course set up and I am sure we can find something to help keep them entertained.  There will be campfires Friday and Saturday night so bring your marshmallows. 

Both Shooter and I will be hard to get in touch with the week before the party.  PM me within the next couple of weeks and I'll send you directions and my cell phone number.  Liz will be checking my email the week prior if I don't make it to a computer and Eman will be on line until Friday.

Hope to meet some new friends and share some great food and good times.

We still have trailer space available and plenty of shaded tent space.  Bring a sweater, it's been darn cool in the evening and early morning.  There are hotels within a 15-20 minute drive. 

Coming in from the East,  Mobile is 3hr to the event, from the West Lafayette is 2 3/4 hrs, Jackson MS is 2hrs to the North.

Al

Al what motel would be the closest to the event thats decent?

Great to hear from you Jerry, 

The "Great Southern Motel"  30246 Hwy 21N in Angie, LA   Corner of Hwy 21 and Hwy 438.    985 986-2486   $  55/night with coupon

"Liberty Inn"  1942 Washington St.  Franklinton,  LA    985 839-4443  about the same price

We visited both, talked to the owners of both, Liz looked at them and said they where clean and the beds appeared to be halfway comfortable.

Her first choice would be the hotel in Angie but Angie is a bit smaller town then Franklinton.

I'll drive by them again next week to check their status.  Make sure nothing has changed in the last couple of months.  There shouldn't be any problems making reservations at the last minute but I will ask.

Al

icon_cool.gif

Hey guys I know it's been along time since I have spoke up. But things are getting really hard out here. I have to put a new roof on the front house and it's got me strapped for cash right now. I don't think that I will be bringing the RV so there's no need to save that spot for me. I might be able to tag team it with Jerry and the both of us travel together. But right now it's still up in the air. I hate to do this but this world today is not getting any better to an old builder out here. But you never know what might just happen.

Definetly get twin beds if you are going to share a room with Jerry 
icon_confused.gif
   Hope you can make it Mark,  I'd hate to have to wait until next spring to touch back with you guys.

Al

Maybe my last night before leaving for Missouri 5am Sat. morn.  Will be spending time with family and new grandson.  When I get back I will pm the principals with my cell # and get final directions to tow the Lang to.  Looking forward to a great time!

I'm a new member. I'm planning on attending the event. (Friend of ShooterRick)

If i was a friend of rick and sandys i don't know if i post it in open forum?

Just kidding !!! LOL I consider them great friends. We will welcome you at the gathering and welcome to SMF!

DLWLB

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the party.  Look forward to meeting you.    Send my a PM if you need a phone number and directions.  I'll be a bit harder to get in touch with the week before because I'll be at the site cleaning up a bit.

Al

I didn't think I was going to make this, but am now committing to attending the event. I'll be riding into town with Jerry, and will probably get a room at the same hotel that he'll stay at.

Will give the Liberty Inn a call to check rates and such. Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

Fantastic!!! we were really looking forward to having our friends from fla. over for supper!

The more the merrier.  We convinced Rick to cook way more then we will ever eat so come hungry. 

Rick is smoking two Butts, two brisket flats and Bob's Rib Roast

Sandy is doing Cinnamon rolls

Bob is doing Gumbo, potato salad and sausage poboys

I'll do different types of ABTs (crabmeat, shrimp and something else), cracklins, BBQ Beans and help with breakfast.

The plan is to have food coming off the smoker all afternoon Friday and all day Saturday so we can kind of buffet all day long.  The main meal will be Saturday around 6pm. 

If you can't bring something but still want to cook let either Bob or I know what you need.  We will be happy to find you some cooktop space or smoker space and we'll even go to the grocery for you. 

If you would like to use the shower at the farm we just ask that you bring your own towels.  Bring your own drinks, we don't live in a dry parish (is there such a thing?) but the small local stores may not have what you drink so plan accordingly.

They just opened a Dollar General about 10 minutes away (whoopie!) so they have essentials, snacks and soft drinks but I didn't see beer or hard liquor.

I will try to hook up my HD TV for the games Saturday and Sunday.  Don't forget  LSU at Florida, Bama at South Carolina (BamaFan are you listening?) and Saints at Arizona on Sunday afternoon.

Dang, Wish you guys wasn't almost 900 miles away.... Sounds like you are gonna have some fun...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

OH yea I almost forgot the pecan smoked bacon I'll have coming out of the smokehouse Sat Am.  Thanks BEER-B-Q, wish you where coming.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky