Rotator cuff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
It official. Doc wants to do shoulder surgery. Full and partial tears. I had other one done for same think and swore would never go through that again. I think might just try live with it.

Sorry man... I would get it fixed if it were me. I had it done forever ago 25 years ago maybe more. wife had it done a couple years ago with the added bonus of a torn biceps. the nerve blocks and such are great these days.

but it can be a long recovery. sorry to hear.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Having hard time coming to terms with it. Live by myself and that last one was months of pain and the not being able to sleep in bed was the worst. Cant seep in recliner. My arm is 100% again though. Took about a year.

• Sad
Reactions: crazymoon
Have you had it scoped or something...
I thought I had a torn rotator cuff... couldn't lift or use my arm... Total pain... My doc sent me to a sports medicine "chiropractor".... First treatment he adjusted my spine,very gently, in one particular vertebrae.. I could feel the "POP".... Pain was GONE... I had FULL movement in my arm.... for 10 seconds... Multiple treatments for the muscles to relearn their positions and hold stuff in their proper place... In six months all was good again...

I'm in the same boat. Just over 1 year out from a full tear repair on my right rotator cuff. Right now, the left is even worse. After doing that and the rehab once, I REALLY don't want to do it again. Holding out until the pain becomes unbearable and the arm becomes virtually useless - but I feel like I'm already about 80% there.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Have you had it scoped or something...
I thought I had a torn rotator cuff... couldn't lift or use my arm... Total pain... My doc sent me to a sports medicine "chiropractor".... First treatment he adjusted my spine,very gently, in one particular vertebrae.. I could feel the "POP".... Pain was GONE... I had FULL movement in my arm.... for 10 seconds... Multiple treatments for the muscles to relearn their positions and hold stuff in their proper place... In six months all was good again...

I also hurt back when fell. Guy at work said same as you. Worth a try. It definantly tore, MRI, but if can find way to live with worth it. Thanks.

Had the right side scoped 10 years ago . It was torn on the bottom , but most of my trouble was frayed bone , and muscle reduced to hamburger on top of the shoulder from packing bundles of studs . Shaved the bone down and cut the muscle out .
Had the nerve block in the neck , told me to take the pain meds ,,, I didn't .
That blocker wore off ,,, I have never been in so much pain ever in my life .
Mine took a good 6 years to get close to " ok " but I was still working doing the heavy lifting everyday .
The PT didn't bother me , but I won't ever do it again unless I absolutely had to .

“Had the nerve block in the neck , told me to take the pain meds ,,, I didn't .
That blocker wore off ,,, I have never been in so much pain ever in my life”

THIS. After that blocker wore off and I only had been taking Alleve (and foolishly thinking ‘this ain’t so bad’), I was praying for a swift end.

Reactions: chopsaw
I have/had 3 partially torn rotator cuff muscles, after going through physical therapy they determined I also had frozen shoulder. Could not lift my right arm very well, kept me up at night etc. So insurance company approves surgery, I go to Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City for pre-op testing. They fail me...I had let my diabetes (type 2) get out of control and my A1C was 9.8
( should be 6 or lower). So I get myself under control, lose 27lbs and now my shoulder is totally free and can do anything. It seems in addition to not healing torn muscles, Diabetes also can cause frozen shoulder. I am not saying this is your issue, but if you are diabetic it is worth checking you sugar levels...I would have never thought this could be that much of a solution. I was 24 hours away from going under the knife.

This is a timely thread, for me, as I've been diagnosed needing shoulder replacement for both shoulders. (Too much fun high wind boardsailling / windsurfing and wave jumping). Tore up both knees and shoulders.

Both shoulders are "bone on bone", right side rotator completely worn away and gone, left side not far behind. I'm 70 and, like Brian, live alone. Surgeon told me to expect to keep the arm in a sling and basically immobile for the first six weeks. (How do you do that living alone?)

I figure that if I stop working, fishing, and guitar playing for 6 months to rehab one shoulder, to say nothing of a year to rehab two, I'll probably never get back to doing at least some of it.

Good luck to you Brian. I'm pretty much in the same state of mind as you as far as I'm putting it off till day to day living with it gets worse than the prospect of surgery and rehab.

| decided to do it. Next week. Got through it last time somehow guess will again. This sucks!!! Wonder if can smoke with one arm.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery. I just had a knee done, and have 2 suggestions for you.
First, buy a Breg or Polar Care Cube cold therapy unit. You put ice and water in it, plug it in, and it circulates very cold water for hours. It holds swelling down and speeds up healing. Grab a few bags of ice for the freezer, and you won't have to be constantly swapping out ice packs. The machine is $120 well spent, and is useful later on for other aches,pains and sprains.
Second, taking 2 or 3 Tylenol along with 2 or 3 Ibuprofin is also effective at reducing pain and swelling. I know first hand that it works. I have read that it can be as effective as opioids, but is much safer, and is not habit forming. Get your doctor's opinion first.
As far as putting you out of your misery goes, your're probably to big to fit in the smoker,and too gnarly and tough to ever smoke long enough to get fork tender.
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky