Rookie Alert!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Floridajetsfan

Original poster
Jan 23, 2018
Navarre, FL
Hi everyone! Did my first smoke last night and I admit - it was nerve racking! I did a 10 lb. pork shoulder butt. Rubbed with a home-made recipe the wife found online (BGE I think - brown sugar and all the normal stuff). Used 3 hickory chunks on the fire and two packets of applewood in foil. Sprayed it down with apple juice concentrate everytime I opened the door. Used Cowboy lump charcoal, which I realize now was a mistake. It was relatively easy to get the temp to 225, but the charcoal burned way too fast for a long smoke AND, the secondary . Started at 9:30 pm. Stocked it up at 11:45 pm. Woke up at 4 am and it was already cooled down to 100 degrees. Checked and reloaded again at 6 am and then pulled it at 9 am and finished it in the oven for about 4 hours. Here's a couple of photos. Looking forward to learning from all of you and thanks in advance!!
Butt.jpg
B2.jpg
B3.jpg

Reactions: SmokinAl
texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a pretty nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Reactions: Floridajetsfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky