Rolling a fatty technique . which do you prefer ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kamphiker

Original poster
Jan 12, 2018
I've always rolled out my sausage/ground meat into a baggie, Do a basket weave of bacon on wax paper.
My next step is to flip the rolled out sausage onto the bacon basket weave.
I then proceed to add my fillings at the lower edge of the bacon weave & sausage. I then roll it up all at once.

I've seen others do the bacon (weather a basket weave OR individual strips) after rolling the Sausage and some place the filling in the center of the rolled out sausage before rolling.

Any advantages of one over another ?

I roll the main one first, seal it well. Wrap in saran wrap then into freezer. I do my weave on parchment again keeping it cold near frozen. Keep it cold thats my advice.

RG

I read the posts by gmc. I tried to follow them as best I could. All I can say, it needs to be as cold as possible to make it easier to roll and stay together.

Gotta say I haven't tried the first one.. But I like the concept... get it all done the first time around... I may have to try that ...

Also let me ask... who try's to get the pinwheel effect when sliced ... And who just likes it rolled once (meaning one end to the other and seal ??

Use to make these all the time with venison/pork, has been a long time. Sauteed mushrooms, onions, green-red-yellow peppers, 3 pepper cheese. Breakfast fatties with scrambled eggs, mushroom, onions. Have always just use single slices to wrap. I'll have to try the weave to help keep from blowouts ( to much stuff). Thanks for the tutorial...

I read the posts by gmc. I tried to follow them as best I could. All I can say, it needs to be as cold as possible to make it easier to roll and stay together.

Very true. Keeping the meat cold helps with rolling.

Gotta say I haven't tried the first one.. But I like the concept... get it all done the first time around... I may have to try that ...

Also let me ask... who try's to get the pinwheel effect when sliced ... And who just likes it rolled once (meaning one end to the other and seal ??

The amount of stuffing you put in the fatty effects how tightly it can be rolled. Me I prefer the pinwheel look.

Chris

I'm not real picky. As long as it makes meatorpedo, and my basket weave makes the trip, I'm happy.
Mine have pinwheeled and tasted great.
I'm hoping to make one with home made bacon real soon. ;)
If it ever gets done curing.... (I've found something more painful than shipping... bacon curing.) o_O

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky