Ribs and turkey at the same time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mark Adams

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 6, 2018
SC
Gonna smoke some ribs on my OK Joe Highland this Friday but I only got 2 racks and I want to make good use of the smoker on my first try (the fire is hot, might as well get good use out of it). Is it a good idea to throw a turkey breast on at the same time the ribs are going? Not sure if it’d be a cross contamination issue? I’m obviously gonna put the turkey on the firebox end so it will get the higher temps.

I wouldn’t worry about any cross contamination. You just need to know the times of the meats your cooking.

When I do bone in turkey breasts they only take a few hours where ribs take between 5-6 hours.

I’ve never smoked a whole turkey so I’m not sure on the ballpark time on that. Not to mention If your doing skin on turkey you’ll want to push the temp up at the end for a while to crisp the skin. 225-250 rib temps won’t crisp your skin. Or you could finish the turkey in the oven for a bit to crisp the skin.

Good luck
Scott

No cross contamination issues, but as Scott said the turkey will be done much quicker than the ribs.
Al

Thanks guys. I plan to use my probe in the turkey since the window is much smaller with poultry. I’ll be sure to post pics Friday.

Just got everything on, I decided to do a small brisket flat as well since the turkey breast was only about 3lbs.

Attachments

• ACA6226A-1911-401F-AD0C-7AFD9D2F3AA5.jpeg
    ACA6226A-1911-401F-AD0C-7AFD9D2F3AA5.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 10
  • F87CC3EA-4AE8-4F52-BCCA-51432CBA496A.jpeg
    F87CC3EA-4AE8-4F52-BCCA-51432CBA496A.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 9
Pulled the turkey off after 2 hrs, it was reading 158 so I wrapped it in foil to finish it out. Wrapped the brisket after 2 hrs as well, reading 165, figured it had enough smoke being so small.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Chris

Sliced the turkey, a little too tender so I had to slice thick. Flavor is incredible though, never eating store cooked turkey again, haha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 6
Took the brisket off at 200 IT and let rest, had to use foil to wrap and made the mistake of leaving it wrapped while it rested. Still tender but a little on the dry side, not terrible though.
Ribs went about an hour longer than the brisket, resting those now as well. Fingers crossed for some good meat for dinner

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cloudy and warm day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.
Can't wait to see pics

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky