Ribeye Testing (SV Step #2)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tasty looking steak Bear!

I kind of backed off from doing ribeyes on the SV. Maybe I’m being too critical on myself but I never seem happy with the finished product. I think it’s because of the fat that doesn’t render.

But I have preferred to SV leaner and/or thicker cuts of beef.

So far I agree with you about the fat not rendering through the SV of a Ribeye, but I am still experimenting.
I get the same Lack of rendering with a 133° SV'd Chucky, but when I did a Pulled Chucky @ 165° for 30 hours, the Fat was rendered even better than when I Smoke a Chucky to over 200°.
So like I said I'm still experimenting.

Check the Picture of the Pulled Beef, and I didn't remove any fat when I pulled it:
Pulled Beef Chuck Roast

Bear

So far I agree with you about the fat not rendering through the SV of a Ribeye, but I am still experimenting.
I get the same Lack of rendering with a 133° SV'd Chucky, but when I did a Pulled Chucky @ 165° for 30 hours, the Fat was rendered even better than when I Smoke a Chucky to over 200°.
So like I said I'm still experimenting.

Check the Picture of the Pulled Beef, and I didn't remove any fat when I pulled it:
Pulled Beef Chuck Roast

Bear

I look forward to your results. I have SV’ed ribeyes up to 4 hours, maybe i will try a longer bath or a higher temp at a shorter time.

I look forward to your results. I have SV’ed ribeyes up to 4 hours, maybe i will try a longer bath or a higher temp at a shorter time.

I got one thawing now, and this next test should be about 134°, but for about 21 hours.
I'll be posting it with the results Probably next week.
I've been doing these, because lately they have Eye Rounds & Chuckies at $4.99 or more, if they have any at all.

So we learn to SV so we can make cheap cuts Tender like expensive cuts.
Meanwhile they make Cheap Cuts cost what expensive cuts used to cost!!!
Can't Win!!

Bear

Reactions: gary s
My favorite steak is ribeye! I have yet to get a “great” ribeye from the SV. I have done awesome (my wife says best steaks ever) filet, ny strip, and porterhouse.

I too believe it is because the fat doesn’t render on the ribeyes when SV.

On a side note, a tip I learned from someone on here is after SV, put the steaks (still sealed) in an ice bath for about 10 mins before sear. This will eliminate the “gray” edges.

My favorite steak is ribeye! I have yet to get a “great” ribeye from the SV. I have done awesome (my wife says best steaks ever) filet, ny strip, and porterhouse.

I too believe it is because the fat doesn’t render on the ribeyes when SV.

On a side note, a tip I learned from someone on here is after SV, put the steaks (still sealed) in an ice bath for about 10 mins before sear. This will eliminate the “gray” edges.

Thanks BBGuy!!
Yes to Both Fat rendering & Ice Bath.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky